Gas / utilitys question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChristenaTN, Nov 23, 2004.

1. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

O.k. so hubby and I are looking at purchasing a tract o land soon and will want to build near to the center of it for seclusion. I am thinking of goign off grid but am questioning how to utilize for some appliances? I can see gas stove, and some other appliances. Did wonder bout those gas water heaters and if they are electic free completely? Oh,, and how could I get my deep freezer and posisbly washer going off grid? Solar? Please share oh wise homesteaders....:) Ideas???? Thanks!

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................The way to change your lifestyle is to Eliminate the "High Amperage" load type appliances that you are Probably ...USE TOO...Such as...Electric stove..50amp\240 volt , Washer\Dryer..50amp\240 volt , Central Heat\Air..100amp\240 volt , etc . Your stove becomes propane...no electric , Fridge\propane<or>12vdc and VERY low current usage . Then you have a complete solar system with various sources of energy all...complimented by a small diesel or gas generator of around 5 to 10,000 watts .

..........http://www.mrsolar.com/ .........look at the 2 12vdc appliance makers about 3/4 quarters of the way down on the leftside of your screen . They , are , very pricey but that's all part of the game , ...fordy... :)

3. Christena, have you thought about doing away with your freezer and do lots of canning instead. You can buy bulk hamburger meat and can it for futur use. Also do chicken, fish, other meats as well vegetables. Winter time use a smoke house to keep meats in.

Also don't know how many is in your household but if it is just the two of you, you might could get buy with a hand crank washer and hang your clothes out to dry.

4. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

Solar is good ,providing you get enough hours AND energy out of it .A 1000 watt panel will only make power when its light out ,6 hours a day is weak .
    My plan is for 2 diesel generators (one 5 to 7kW ,and one 10kW should be enough if you dont use the dryer and stove at the same time ) ... if I buy quality then I wont need a battery bank .
    If you size yours a little higher than required you could generate enough light to grow a garden year round .
    Since Diesel wouldnt afford any environmental or economic advantage ,I've been looking at Biodiesel ,and it seems like a viable alternative ,if youre not queasy about handling chemicals and are aware of the hazards .Also ,you have to have a way of procuring ,transporting and making up to 300 gallons of the stuff a month .
    You can make 20Lbs of ice a day when its sunny out (in the summertime) using 20' pipe ,some ammonia and salt and a few other odds and ends .
    That ,supplemented by wood heat and smart energy usage should make it possible to do away with 2 mayor utility bills ,and maintain a reasonable level of comfort .
    I wouldnt attempt these project-s- unless I had the tools and savy to design ,build ,and maintain it .

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Justin , take a look at the Generator Superstore . They , sell , the Onan\Cummins line of small diesel gensets . The 10 and 12 kw models both generate maximum power at 1800 RPM . This means LONG service life if routine maintenance is performed . And , diesel will keep for years if the preservation chemicals are added to the "Brew" as it were . Plus , they generate a Pure signwave quality of power that is pallatable to computers and other frequency sensitive electricial appliances , fordy... :)

6. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

Wow they have some nice stuff fordy ... so much nicer than a 3cyl diesel from a wrecked truck and a rewound 20 horse motor .I REally like the non-square wave for anything with a transformer or motor in it ,TV ,computer ,ballasts ,washing machine etc ,basically anything but lightbulbs and a toaster .

Plus if you run it at 55hz instead of 60 you'll live almost 10% longer if you have plugin clocks :)

I didnt know about the additives to increase shelf life ... the more you think about it the better it sounds ... you could use waste heat from the genset to help the "Brew"<-- (lol) ... the ultimate batch process