Gas under $2/Gallon!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Peacock, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I was out this evening and did a double take when I spotted the corner gas station's sign -- $1.98/gal! Last I checked it was $2.09, not a big change, but I sure didn't expect to see under $2 anytime soon!

How are prices in your locale?

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Off I-40 just outside of Raleigh, it was $2.29 when I filled up tonight! I would love to have seen under $2.00!!!

3. desertrat - 1

desertrat - 1 Well-Known Member

Now if diesel would just come down . Its roughly 2 1/2 bucks a gallon here in AZ. I've never been able to figure that out . Diesel fuel is one of the first things cracked off at the refinery after road surfacing , tar , heating oil etc . I mean its the dregs of the crude oil basically , since it doesnt cost that much to make ...... why is it so expensive ?

Do you think we are getting shafted by the oil companies ? :rolleyes:

DR-1

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Diesel fuel is the Life blood of the country, Trains use it Semi's use it And The American Farmer uses it. So the fuel producers know the world will pay the asking price for Diesel. The prices are set on the Mercintile exchange by the GREEDY futures traders. They don't care what it costs us, As long as they make A extra nickle ..

5. desertrat - 1

desertrat - 1 Well-Known Member

Right on JD . I was being tongue and cheek ... its a rip off .

The oil companies know that light duty diesel pickups and cars get better fuel mileage so they jack up the price 20% or so above gas powered vehicles to offset their losses because we use less of their fuel per mile driven . That sucks .

Now here is a serious question I dont understand ........... I see you are an over the road trucker ....... here in Kingman at Flying J and probably other fuel stops they charge MORE for diesel at the big rig truck pumps than at the " Car Diesel " pumps. I dont get it ? Why should a big rig driver pay more for diesel in a job that he's trying to make a living at , than Joe Blow with a pickup ? Mr Big Rig should get a discount since he's the life blood of America . Almost everything is shiped by truck .... the more he is charged for fuel , the more goods cost to the consumer . I dont want to pay any more than I have to in my Cummins Dodge , but it doesnt seem fair to me the way its set up .

Whats your take on it ? Is it just taxes ? Farmers pay less for diesel to run their tractors to feed America ... but god help you if get caught running tractor fuel in your pickup . Why dont long haulers get a break in fuel prices ?

Thanks , DR-1

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yeah Yeah Yeah...2.77/gal for premium.

Oh well it is coming down,was 2.89 last week.

BooBoo :gromit:

7. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

Western New York has a wide range of prices from $2.46 to $2.59 per gallon for regular unleaded. The reservation has only been running about 10 cents per gallon cheaper than the lowest price so it isn't worth the 20 mile drive to save a dollar.

8. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Not nice ...in Northern NY its still 2.59 a gallon. Boy it would be nice for it to drop.

Patty

9. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

$2.17 in WI. we have not been over $2.39 for along time now. So this kind of a drop is really nice. And it will even go lower in the next few weeks may even get under 2 even here in WI. Wow, "How sweet It Is"

10. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

It's still higher here in Western Washington. It's $2.77 for regular unleaded at the closest spot to my home but yesterday when I drove north up I-5 to the Olympia area, I saw some spots around $2.55. I wish I had had enough left in my tank to fill up there instead of where I did.

11. gr8tnurse

gr8tnurse Active Member

12. sewing nana

sewing nana Well-Known Member

Just North of Clarksville, Tn we paid $1.89 on Thursday.

13. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

You are correct in saying diesel is one of the first distillates. However, what most forget is the federal mandate that requires a two-step desulfurization step that is an energy consuming process. Takes lots of heat and another catalyst. I reckon at this point it is still supply and demand....supply is lower than gasoline so they can keep up with gasoline demand, and demand, not sure if it is equal to or lower than gasoline, but I would assume lower demand than gasoline.

14. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

Gas is still 2.33 in NW PA.

15. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

We're at $2.06 lowest priced. While I appreciate the price break, I have some mixed feelings. With gas under $2/gallon I fear the push for alternative energy will wane. Flame me, if you want, but we think this should be one of the top priorities of our nation.
    BW

16. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

Cheapest here yesterday was $2.66 a gallon.

17. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

$1.98 in gainsville,mo. and 25 miles west in westplains,mo. its $2.16 got me.oh and 25 north of me its $2.03.

18. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Cheapest I saw around here was 2.51.

19. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Here in south-central Michigan at the local Meijer's store it listed regular at $1.94 this afternoon! :) Yesterday at the same store, it listed for $1.99. At least it's heading in the right direction. :rolleyes:

20. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

To try to explain why Fuel at truck stops are higher, is trucks need to pay a high fuel tax to = out miles driven in state. Company's need to report fuel usage and miles driven within each state they pay taxes accordingly.

Plus the Flying J's are building like crazy and need to cover more restroom attendants for the first few months after a GRAND opening. ( JD will get this joke). :p