Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting a question on behalf of my good friend/ ex old lady...
Can anyone tell me what would be involved with converting a gaslog firepace to wood burning? She purchased the house pre-owned from the origional owner, but it ain't all that old, so was most likey a gas fireplace from the beginning if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am certainly no expert, but a couple of questions occur to me.

If it was originally gas from original construction, does the house even have a functioning chimney?

If there is a chimney, is it sized properly and appropriately lined for wood use, or would a liner insert need to be added?

I think you can add a gas insert to an old wood fireplace fairly easily if you can supply the gas, but instinct tells me doing it the other way around is likely to be more complicated.

I am interested to see what more experienced people say.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You cannot use the existing flue pipe for wood. Replacing the flue pipe will probably require tearing out large sections of wallboard, and installing all sorts of shielding and double wall flue pipe. Unless you do it yourself, it will cost a bunch (5-10k). Putting in a brand new stove in a new place would be much less expensive (usually).

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
If it was a gas fireplace from the start, it may be totally incompatible with wood. The entire unit might have to be removed and replaced by a new fireplace and chimney.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts