gas tank liner

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fordson major, Jan 8, 2007.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

has anyone used a liquid that coats rusty gas tanks so they can be used without the rust coming of the tank interior? have a number of rusty boat tanks that are heading too the scrap pile if they cant be fixed!

2. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

I had it done a couple of times on a couple of old tractors. The first one was fine, worked great. I had them done at a radiator shop. $100 a pop. A new or good used tank was about $250. The second one started to peel after about a week and was plugging the carb. I took it back and showed him and he said,
    "tough ----- bon ditty". He said it didn't get cleaned well enough by the retarded teenagers I have working for me and I never said I would guarantee it. The fight was on after that. It didn't go very well on my part.
    Anyway......... I ended up cutting a hole in the tank with a die grinder and buffing the rust out and welding it shut. I sold the tractor, but never had another problem after that.
    My FIL told me after the fact to put some clean gravel in the tank with some cleaner of some kind and shake the hell out of it to knock the rust loose.
    The key to the procedure it to get it very clean with an acid of some kind and it will work and work very well.

3. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

well, its not a rusty tank liner,,,,its for clean tanks that have holes rusted in them....in other words, you gotta get the rust out. most people use chains, nails, gravel inside the tank, and hang it from something and shake the dickens out of it.. then wash the tank out with solvents, dry and then coat. i put a couple pounds of gravel in my wc tank, wrapped it in a tarp. bungee corded that in the center of a deep dished rear tractor wheel on my JD and bushhoged with the jd for a few hours. the tumbling action got all the rust off the interior of the tank. a few washings got the tank silver clean inside,,,,and also showed a few new rusted through places....after drying you slosh the sealer around making sure ALL surfaces are coated, drain out the surplus. two types of sealer,,,,one i think does not do well with fuel dryer chemicals,,,,try napa or value built (think it spelled valuebilt or something like that,,,,its on the net)

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ford Major,

Remove the outlet valve from the tank. Drill the opening in the outlet valve (on the tank side) and insert a barbed fitting and solder/braze in place. Get a small 2 ft piece of rubber fuel line and place one end on the barbed fitting. Insert the fuel line and fitting in the tank and secure. Fish the fuel line out through the filler neck in the fuel tank and then insert an in line fuel filter into the open end of the fuel line and drop the entire setup back into the tank. The inline filter will rest off the bottom of the tank and not pick up the rust. This will filter the fuel and will work for a long time between changes without clogging. Enjoy

5. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I have used it and the only thing is to get it clean and free from oil. It worked for me.

6. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

This liquid will line a tank once cleaned. Check it out:

Fuel Tank Liner - For all fuel tanks. One quart Fuel Tank Liner. Once cleaned, this tank liner will prevent further corrosion inside your tank. (Part No: R2043) $33.66. This item can be purchased at: http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/store/parts/index.htm

7. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

Iv'e used it on an old motorcycle, I kept the cycle for atleast 4 more years till I sold it. It still was holding... Like others said "you have to make sure the tank is clean on hte inside"...

8. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I did the tanks on my 1948 Harley Panhead in 1980 and it is still holding up fine. Just make sure the inside of the tank is clean and dry before applying the sealer.

9. fordson major

ace thats a great idea!! have tumbled tanks with gravel and a bit of fuel oil before , cleaned up the rust scale very well but had tumbled the tank manuely. agman ,have our one nonford set up like that ,was a gas case hoe and we put a diesel engine in it. have too fix the "non ford " one day! have four long fordson tanks too clean up as well, fellow suggested electrolisis but may see them chained in the duels of the 9482 next spring!

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To patch the through holes use a product called Marine Tex applied to the exterior.

11. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ford Major,

i don't have a fordson in my barn,,,,but they are starting to grow on me,,,,i think i will try to find one.

the electrolysis will work,,,,but the loosened rust will still have to be removed along with the iron oxide layer that is always left after electrolysis. what i like about electrolysis is ,,,,,its one of the few things that works while one is sleeping,,,,just let it run for about 24 hours...

12. fordson major

have heard of this product, as yet the tanks are in good shape just surface rust!
    ace, we ran david browns for years! early eightys we switched too ford (local dealer, the db dealer was many miles further!) got a fordson as a yard tractor and really liked it! ross sold it when a fellow offered 5 times what we had paid for it :flame: :grump: then bought a gas '54 (most were diesel) and then traded my minnie z for four e27n's. still have too get the fordson's in the shop :p girl child is very good at fixing things and is interested in helping her paw get them running! (boys think this is neat though! :help: )