Gas string trimmer recommendations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed Norman, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

DW's birthday is fast approaching. Who can tell me about a good gas powered string trimmer that lasts and lasts? Thanks.

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Last year we got a craftsman its the 4 cycle so no mixing gas. Other than having to pull start it and sometimes it takes awhile it works great for us.

3. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with my John Deere, They also make a 4 cycle with lots of useful attachments.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Depends on what you're trimming. I use a Stihl FS085 on stuff taller than I am. It has the power to cut as fast as you can swing and walk. When the grass gets too high for a lawn mower, it'll do that too. It's basicly a lawn mower on a stick. It'll take either string or a blade. The string is heavy enough (.095) that you don't have to tap the head that often unless you're wacking woody stuff so a spool lasts quite a while. Use the harness suspension setup and you can comfortable cruise through more stuff in a day than you would believe. Buy the string in 840' spools to save money.

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

In 1981 we bought a shindiawa 035 trimmer and have used it for fire clearence on our 10 acres and my FIL's 15 acres each and every year. Most years it takes too or three passes before everything fires out and stops growing. No problems but a few minor parts have had to be replaced. WE paid $450 for it and it has been worth every penny...very comfortable harness and some really tough string..also comes with a blade which I use on occcasion to brush out new areas or really difficult weeds.

6. Ed Norman

Thanks for the replies. I meant to say I was wanting a 4 cycle, so the responses are all helpful. What is the difference in a straight shaft and a curved shaft trimmer, besides the shape of the shaft? I don't see much benefit to the longer straight shaft.

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this is good to hear. i just came home with the same model.

$310 with tax. :stars:

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

A straight shaft powers the cutting head with a solid rod whereas a curve shaft uses a long spring. What this means is that there is more torque delivered with a straight shaft. A straight shaft can be fitted with a brush cutter head (like a circular saw) whereas the only head that can be used on a curve shaft is a line trimmer. In other words, a straight shaft is more versatile.

Look at the brands that the lawn companies use in your area. Generally, they use Sthil, Shindiawa, Jonesrud, and Husquvarna. I'd recommend any of these brands. The decision on brand should be based on which brand is sold and serviced by your closest dealer.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I love Stihl products.

It's a 2 stroke but I have an FS-36 Stihl that I really like. My older stihl was/is a great trimmer/brushcutter and could use both line and a blade but to be honest as bad as my back has been getting even with the harness I needed something lighter and easier to handle. The smaller one takes more time and can't cut the big stuff but does 90% of what I need to to do. I've had the thing for years and haven't had a lick of trouble with it despite the fact that I abuse it unmercifully. I've never changed the plug or done any maintenance on it that I can remember other than replacing a gas cap that split when I dropped the trimmer on the garage floor. I leave the old gas in it over the winter and even left the thing with gas in it for two or three seasons a few years back. I dumped the old gas out and it smelled like old turpentine. I washed the tank out with some fresh gas and then filled her up and it started right up.

Looking for lighter tools is something I find myself doing more and more with chainsaws coming next. I'm going to switch to one of the super light stihl arborist models. For no more wood than I cut now I think I'll be happier with a lightweight model even if it doesn't have the power or large cutting capacity of my current saws.

10. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

Stihl for all the gas power tools

11. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

12. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

DH bought me a Craftsman push weed/brush eater. It has the big wheels in the back for easier movement. It is really easy to use and is on its second year for us with no problems.

13. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

I'm a landscaper.The Stihl,Shindiawa and Redmax all make 4 cycle trimmers but you do have to mix the fuel,there not true 4 cycle.I like Stihl but Shindiawa and Redmax are good also.As said before it depends alot about what your going to trim.The most important thing is to find a good dealer.

14. Ed Norman

We made the long journey to town yesterday and looked at all we could find. We decided on the Craftsman straight shaft 4 cycle. It is a true 4 cycle, no oil mixing. We got it home and ran a tank of gas thru it with no problems.

We have 3 acres of weeds and grass to trim, no brush. Lots of new fruit and shade trees to trim around.

Thanks for all the replies and help.