gas stove woes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

We bought a hot point gas stove, (because it was the floor model on sale) and it is the fanciest stove I ever had.After 38 years of electric stoves I wanted gas because of the instant heat etc. Now I am not happy with it at all. The man from the gas company hooked it up for us. Is it normal that you can not simmer anything? You need wide bottom pots or else you burn the handles off and heat the sides of the pot , but... two big pots do not fit next to each other. the fact that whatever you are cooking on the lowest setting is still boiling over is what irritates me the most. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the setting. it bakes fine. How do you all with gas stoves get along with it?

2. arbutus

arbutus Well-Known Member

I have had two gas stoves and both could simmer, and I can fit two large pots side by side (not two waterbath canners, but I wouldn't expect to be able to do that) on my current one. Maybe check out the options for different burners. There is one on my stove that is a super high output, two that are medium output and one that is lower output. The moderate and low output burners will work fine on a small saucepan or small skillet.

Edited to say that the stove we have you can adjust the output with the regular stove top knob so the individual flames so they are less than a quarter inch long.

If you can't do this or if you have absolutely huge flames on high - are you using this stove with LP? Was it rated for natural gas and not converted?

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Gas stoves have knobs on the front that turn the gas up or down, depending on how hot you want it. If it is too hot try turning it down. You can't just go by the knob setting, look at the flame itself and adjust to what you want or need. I always liked the gas stoves better than electric because you have better control over their output. As for being able to fit pots on the stove that will vary according to how big the stove is, if it's too small your only option is to use smaller pots.

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Ditto. You have to look at the flame and adjust it. You should be able to adjust it so low that the flame putters for a while and then goes out. If you can't do that, something is wrong. That is what is so great about gas stoves, continuously variable adjustments and you can see where you have it.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds to me like the air flow openings to the individual burners need adjusting! You should be able to lower the flame so as to barely see a hint of blue flame. Get that gas man back at no cost to you and get these adjusted.

6. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Yes, as goatlady says you should be able to turn down the burner untli you just see a little blue flame. Simmering shouldn't be a problem.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

thanks guys, but this has not been helpful at all. you all think I am so dumb that I can not turn the knob and lower the flame? that is why I am having a problem, I turn it as low as it will go and it is still too much. and at the very lowest setting I can not use a smaller pot. I have ruined a couple of my favorite pots because thy could not handle the heat on their handles.
    farmer Willy, you are hurting my feelings, how do you think I turn the stove on? you turn the knob, it makes a clicking noise and that ignites the flame, then I totally forget there is a knob in front and whine because I am doing something wrong. miracle of miracles, I manage to do the oven right. I am complaining because I would like to use smaller pots, after all, I am not cooking for a large family anymore, and I would like to simmer things. I cooked rice yesterday, I brought it to a boil, turned on lowest, then when it started to boil over I turned it off, let it set for a while, turned it on again til it started to boil over, then turned it off again and so on. this is frustrating. the moment something has started to boil you can not keep a lid on anymore. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the stove or is it with the gas line, I have no idea. Is there something I can adjust...? I just had to find out if this is the norm for gas stoves.

8. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Well getting snippy with the people taking time out of their day trying to help you is certianly not going to get you any farther either. When you ask a question we on the other end of the computer don't know what your knowledge level is so it's usually better to start at the bottom and work up. Don't take it as a personal insult, and gosh there may even be someone other than you reading this thread who might benefit from the basic information shared, too.

What a couple people have told you is that you should be able to use the knob to control the flame down until it gets small and then goes out. If you can't control it down that far then there might be something wrong with your stove or gas pressure, and you should have the guy who installed it come back. If you can turn it down so far that the flame burns out, but are still having this problem, then something else is wrong and I don't know what to tell you. On my gas stove I do not have a problem using small pans or simmering things.

9. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

If the oven works properly then it sounds like the problem is limited to the burners which would rule out the regulator, gas line, supply pressure, etc. in most cases. If you are connected to natural gas call your company and have them come out and service the stove -- sounds like something in the burners is not set properly such as the control over air to gas ratio -- usually just a screwdriver adjustment on the burner -- could be a seperate regulator for the burners which is either malfunctioning or our of adjustment. Was the stove set up to use LP and is now on natural or vice versa ??? If so, there is an orafice that needs to be changed and that could be the problem.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Tabitha I'm sorry you took things so personally, people are just trying to help not talk down to you.
    Our gas stove has the same problem you have the flame always makes things boil even at the lowest setting, the stove came with our house. My wife just talked about seeing if we could get another stove that has at least one very low setting and one that has a very large heat output, we haven't been out to shop for one yet. You might check back with the store where you bought the stove (maybe something is wrong with the stove from the factory), did it come with a book/manual, and/or check with the gas company. Good luck.

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I find this interesting, see, I have the opposite problem with stoves... Everything I do on electric burns!!! I hate it!!! cannot ever simmer or regulate anything! (just got propane yesterday, and man, am I thrilled to be back on the gas stove!!!)
    I guess it has a lot to do with what your used to. But, my 2 cents is that the settings inside the top there where the burner thingys are is wrong.... hehe.... too much oxygen.. Had a gas man years ago come in with a little screw driver, give a couple of twists under the hood and all was well... probably all that needs to be done on yours.

12. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

my apologies, did not mean to seem unappreciative of attempts to be helpful, but in all honesty, I did feel being ridiculed.

13. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! My stove is a 5 burner, with the 5th being specifically a "Simmer" burner and its still too hot to simmer anything. Rice is ALWAYS scorched. Gas is a more concentrated heat source rather than spead out around the entire electric coil. Get a "Flame Tamer" from any good cooking store or culinary dept. in large department store or online. The heavy metal disk ones don't work as well (IMHO) bas the less expensive perforated two layer ones. I have both and multiples of each. You'll then love cooking with gas!

14. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Get a heat diffuser to use when simmering and offset the pots on the burners so the handles arent over the flame

15. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Tabitha, Maybe your loading too much wood in it.

16. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

Also look at the diameter of the burners. My stove has 3 sizes. Use the smallest one for the lowest heat. I believe that you can even move them around on some stoves if you prefer to simmer on a front burner instead of a back one etc...

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you know the model of the stove? Maybe we can google a graphic to see the layout of the burners, etc.

As others have said, if you can't get the flame down to a little bitty blue ring, then something is wrong and it needs to be serviced.

I am sorry you're frustrated, and I know how irritating it can be to get all excited about something and then find it doesn't work the way you expected. Gas, electric, or wood, there's always a learning curve.

Is there someone nearby who is a regular gas stove user? Maybe you could ask that person to come by and let you know if your stove is working right before you call a repair man.

Pony!

18. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, i know just how she feels--i'd trade my smooth top electric for it anytime. least gas stoves are adjustable-- my elec boils water on the lowest setting!

19. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

:confused: :confused: :confused:

20. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Get a flame tamer, as someone else suggested, or a square of 1/4" steel plate or iron from a local metal guy.

Consider getting a few higher-end pots and pans as well. Gas is very responsive to heat changes (that's why it's great), but if you have some el cheapo pans you're using, you'll continue to have problems on gas.