Gas stove question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been offered a nice gas stove free by my father; needs some minor repairs (electrical part broken) that I should be able to do myself. It's a Kenmore and probably a $400-500 stove new. Five burner, and nice and sturdy.

My house is electric and I've about killed the burners on my electric stove canning on them. They just can't take the weight.

I'm thinking of setting this stove up outside for canning purposes -- building a shed for it. Is it possible to get a regulator that would let me run it off a BBQ 4 lb grill cannister or will I need to have a an actual propane tank brought in and set up?

I'm NOT a fan of gas stoves in the house -- I like 'em to cook on, but I'm not sure I can get over the willies that the thought of propane in my house gives me. So I'd like to install it outside. (I've seen the results of a propane explosion. I've also experienced the headache that results from inhaling too much propane because of a leak, in a separate incident. Yow.) And having a stove outside would be a good thing during the summer, too ... my house is very small and when it's 110 degrees outside it heats up in a hurry if I try to bake anything. It'd save on the AC bill, too.

2. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

Could yoi get a regulator off of a BBQ? I think once you cook or can on a gas stove you won't to go back to the other. I think if you do deside to put it inside you can get a plummer to put in the pipe. I love mt gas stove, it is an old one too, with a fifth purner in the middle for the grill, I sute like havving a wider stove for canning.
    Sandie OR 5/6

3. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I have been researching Kenmore gas stoves as I need a new one and have been drooling over the five-burner models. Ummmmm, I think you're under-estimating the value of those things! I don't think Kenmore makes one with five burners that's less than $900 to $1,000 -- and the one I want, with two ovens, is about $1,200!!

I was raised around gas stoves (my father did major appliance repair) and have only had one incident (with natural gas) and it was a recent slice in the pig tail hose thingy that connects the gas pipe to the stove. Fortunately I had a good plumber and he had put a shut off connection right where it should have been and I got the thing shut off and called the stove repair guy the next day and he came -- looked like he might have swallowed a guppie when he found out what happened, because he was the one who installed it. I now have the sturdiest most super duper pig tail you ever saw on a gas stove and it ain't gonna have any holes in it any time soon unless someone shoves a knife through it or a mouse chews a hole in it! In spite of that little problem, after more years of being around gas stoves than many of you have been alive, I still love 'em. They heat water faster than electric (oh, yeah -- I speak from experience as I was forced to use electric at various times and hated it every time!), you can regulate your canning temperatures better, and I think they're more economical.

You could build a shed and use it outside, which would make a nice "summer kitchen", but I don't know if you could use one of the small tanks of propane meant for bbq grills. They do have the tall skinny ones that look like a salami standing on end -- those things will last for months of daily cooking -- I can remember my parents using tanks like that and I don't think they needed to be replaced more than every 4 to 6 months. They are often delivered in pairs so that when one runs out you switch to the full one and call to have the empty one replaced, etc. So you never run out in the middle of canning or baking or something!

By the way, if you decide you don't want the stove, you can tell your dad I'm putting myself up for adoption!! hehehehehe

MaryNY

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Yes, if you put a regulator on the propane bottle, you can run the stove off of it.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Gas stoves are set up for either natural gas or propane, if it was setup for propane you're good to go with any size tank and a regulator. if it was on natural (city) gas it will have to be changed over to propane, different orifice size, then it will be OK.
    We've always had gas in the house, either propane or now we have natural gas piped to the house for stove, heat and hot water. I was raised with gas in the house so I guess I'm used to it.

6. ovendoctor

ovendoctor north of the lift bridge

good morning;

the secondary cook station is an exelent idea
    we have a commercial unit in my shop to do canning and major cooking events
    its a franklen chef 6 burner with 2 full size ovens,24''flat top and char brolier
    its really nice to keep the mess out in the shop :dance:

but to quote a famous cartoon c-leb
    Hooooooooooooooooold on there :)

no,1 make shure the stove is set up for LP.[bottle gas]
    the orfaces[fuel jets] are much smaller for LP thain natural gas
    you will get an interesting flame on the burner[12-24''high and dirty]

no.2 natural gas is lighter thain air, it will disapate unless its trapped in a building
    LP. gas is heavier than air,it tends to build up on the floor and does not disapate unless there is some type of air flow to move it.

no.3 make shure the regulator is large enuf to handel the stove
    also install the fuel can and regulator OUT SIDE OF THE BUILDING.
    after the regulator the piping needs to be 1/2'' black pipe[not galvinized or plastic]

I hope this help's out.

any body on the fourm can pm. me if you are unshure about equipment
    I whould rather spend time typing[i need the practice any way]
    than here about somone getting hurt

:hobbyhors

blessing's Big Mike

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Kenmore gas range converted to propane because it's the only one we could find that doesn't have a glow bar and is self-cleaning. We're on solar power so glow bars are a no-no.
    We also have a propane fridge, dryer, heating stoves and water heater. We have propane leak detectors thruout the cabin so we don't worry.
    And yea you can run it off a smaller propane bottle.