Gas smell by our 96 Ford Taurus,moved for Ardie

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mightybooboo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Moved this for Ardie/WI

Gas smell by our 96 Ford Taurus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has fix-it-all-Roger baffled! There is a strong gas smell by the car! There is NO gas leaking from the car (The first thing he checked!). He has been all over that car and yesterday, sat and read the repair book!
    Is there a filter or valve that is supposed to keep the smell contained?

Any ideas?

2. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Saw this in wee hours today-does this happen after filling tank, hard driving, hard cornering? Some thoughts: I had an older Maxda years ago which had a drain with a tube built into the plastic guard around the filler neck. Supposed to drain to ground/atmosphere but somewhere along the line(assembly?)the tube was pinched closed. Got occaisional strong gas smell in and out of vehicle. More to the point-you don't want to mess with this as your husband is more than aware of. You might seriously consider taking it to a shop and having them go over it with a "sniffer". Used to detect freon leaks, exhaust leaks, natural gas leaks, etc. You get the idea. You COULD buy one, but pricey and I doubt you would get much use of it. If he is like me it irks him to pay someone else to find it, but there comes a time...Good luck-dan

3. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Forgot-check the charcoal cannister area. These things NEVER get serviced/replaced and it could be a good place to poke around. dan

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

The gas smell happens when the car sits in the garage.

Roger is a former maintainance (sp?) mechanic at a dairy plant and it drives him crazy if he has to pay someone to fix anything. :viking: I'm surprised he takes me to a doctor!

BTW, where did I post this since it had to be moved? I musta had a brain fart!

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

There are so many things to ck. and look at I can't begine to suggest anything. First question is always has anything been done to the vehicle recently? Every fuel fitting has seals and special retainers that the slightest thing can cause a leak. A visual check of the complete fuel system including any vapor recovery system is where I would start.
    The last car I had with a gas odor wasn't easily visible, there was a slight leak at a fuel injector which would eveaporate before I could easily see the fuel leak. Made it difficult to find yet easy to fix.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

The dishwasher grit thread.

BooBoo

7. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Check all along the fuel line as it exits the gas tank. Some cars have in line filters that runs along the frame.
    Daughters Neon had a leak like that one year while we were camping. A small cover plate in front of the rear axle hid a leaking in line fuel filter.

8. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Have your tech (mechanic) check the fuel pressure regulator ( pull the vaccum hose of and you may see gas ) and the injectors when the engine is fully warmed up. Run the crap out of it for 5 miles. It should show up then. It could be an oil leak too. That can sometimes smell like gas. Possible oil pan gasket on this particular vehicle.

If this hasn't been any assitance, no harm done. You can always tell me to blow it out my grits.

9. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

buy a new gas cap. there is a vented and non vented one. use the vin code on the dash to see which one is recommended for yours. Its probably building pressure via fumes and then its reaching the limit and releasing it kinda like a pressure valve. Take it off and look in the center in the middle of the threads. If there is round holes its vented and probably clogged. New one from Advance Auto

Stant part 11832 $8.88 plus tax