Gas shortages?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RandB, Apr 21, 2006.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

The latest thing here in the mid-atlantic area is that in addition to sky-high prices, now some gas stations are running out of gas, can't get more right away. It seems to be related to the fact that the govt. requires a switch to gasoline with ethanol in it, and there isn't enough ethanol to go around, and they are having trouble transporting it.

My question is what geniuses are requiring the ethanol before there is enough of it to supply the demand ?????
    Sure wish we could just drive a horse & buggy and ditch the cars !!!

2. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Isn't funny that the Wall Street Journal reported this week that oil and gas supplies were at an 8 year high righ now?
    clove

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Remember the even /odd tag number rationing and gallon limits of the 1970s? Rationing was done then to primarily maintain order and prevent 24/7 runs on stations. It will probabably be utilized in the same fashion now.

4. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

Part of the problem is that they have to clean out the tanks before the new type fuel with ethanol is put in.
    Dawn

From the CNN website : (http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/21/news/economy/gas_shortage/index.htm?cnn=yes

"The oil industry said problems aren't related to an actual shortage but are being caused from a switch over from winter to summer gas, which is cleaner burning.

Terminals need to nearly empty their tanks to accept supplies of summer gas, which will arrive by May 1, said the American Petroleum Institute's Al Mannato.

Mannato said this switch and the accompanying spot shortages happen every year, "but crude prices are way up, gasoline is way up, so people are watching more this year."

He also said a switch from the gasoline additive MTBE, which has been found to contaminate ground water, to ethanol could be compounding the problem.

Problems with making the switch to ethanol were foreseen.

Making the change is hard because ethanol, unlike MTBE, absorbs water and therefore can't be transported by pipeline, which is how most gasoline moves from refineries to regional markets, Mary Rose Brown, a spokeswoman for the refining company Valero (Research), told CNNMoney.com earlier this week.

So ethanol needs to be transported separately by truck or railcar from the Midwest, where it's produced, to the pipeline terminus, where it's then blended with gasoline as the gas is loaded onto trucks for delivery to gas stations, said Brown.

"We've yet to see how hard it will be, but we will see spot outages," she said, noting that there have already been outages in Dallas and Houston, two other areas that are switching."

5. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

DRIVE LESS use LESS. Vacation in your own community. Get involved in your own community. Hitch up the DONKEY to go for PIZZA. If every one would sit out just ONE Day a week the OIL Stock Holders would CRY. Have your company work a four day week. When a RETIRED man can take an old Honda and put an electric motor from a fork lift and put 7 batteries in it and get 35 MPH and go 200 MILES ?? TELL me about it, the OIL companies and the polititions that run this country, that BOMB cities just so thye can TAKE your money to rebuild them ? But where is all that OIL we are giving LIVES for ? NOT in TEXAS. It's all about GREED, three Car garage full of TOYS, a race to have MORE and MORE......when will it stop. You could help change this by setting an example. OPEN a Livery Stable.

6. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

donkeyman that was a great answer :dance: .

7. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

donkey man......please go to the country singletree and see the thread wagons ho!!!!!I haven't the money to move....so am driving 2 teams of horses...in a homebuilt wagon...accross the US...I don't need no stinkin' gasoline!!!!!

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I just rec'd an email that stated: they are trying to get everyone to boycotte Exxon and Mobil. These are the two largest companies. IF they are hurting they will bring their prices down, forcing other companies to follow suite. I do not believe there is a shortage, or that the prices are there because it cost so much... I will not be buying gas from either of these or the smaller companies that are own by them... We are going to shoot for less than 2.00gal. What can it hurt, if we cut back, use less and buy from smaller companies when we do need gas???? Last April or May there was a boycotte going around that said don't buy gas on certain days--It seems like they didn't really care -as long as we purchased it...

9. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch in the news (maybe a month or so ago) that one of the head guys at OPEC said oil production was higher than ever.. Heard that ONCE and they shut him up fast..

There isn't/never has been a shortage on oil.. It's like everything else in this country.. The owners are greedy.. They tell us theres a shortage then rape us with high prices because they know most people won't inconvience themselves to try something different.

Boycotts won't work.. If you go to exxon or mobil site you will see they have other markets as well (don't keep all eggs in one basket)..

The way I see it we all need to get a horse and buggy and say to h*ll with gas, the administration and other controling agencies..

But hey what do I know?

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Just like any other business. As long as the people will buy the product the price will increase. If people will conserve gas and buy less the price will go down.
    What other business do you know that will reduce the price when people will stand in line to buy it?
    If I have a dairy farm and the people are standing in line to buy my milk I do not reduce the price. If I own a car dealership and the people are waiting in line for a special model I do not reduce the price.

11. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

12. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

A diamond is just a piece of coal. The supply of these rocks is so controlled by such a few people that the world price is a joke. Anyway you cut it ... a diamond is just a piece of rock. The same is true with gas. I work in the industry. There is gasoline. Just a couple of years ago, our President promised his buddies that we in this country would be paying $5.00 a gallon before he left office. He used 9/11 to raise the price ... his invasion of Iraq helped .....storms in the gulf came along to help out the price rise, just dumb luck for the greedy few ..... now, it's the unstable conditions in Iran, that have nothing to do with the crude used in and by America..

Gas will be $5.00 a gallon in another two years, unless someone in Washington can find the bal*s to stand up to the the oil industry and cap the top price of gas at the pump .... it has NOTHING to do with conserving anything. It's about ungodly profits and scum in the top levels of the business of oil / gas / chemicals.

A 300 million retirement package for ONE man ?????? Where do people think that comes from?

13. pcdreams

couldn't agree more papaw

14. angus

angus Somewhere in Oklahoma

Use Less ... Pay Less ...

15. pcdreams

If and only if EVERYONE uses less.. One person using less don't mean sh*t..

16. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Oil production may be the highest it has ever been, but so is demand. And OPEC is no longer ABLE to up their production to meet increased demand, so prices go up. Sure, there are some other things factoring into the present price hikes and shortages, but the story in a nutshell is that Peak Oil is here, and we all need to be thinking seriously about how we are going to manage our lives in a future that is going to be quite different from the the world we grew up in.

Kathleen

17. pcdreams

thats answered easily enough.. We will be dependant on the alternative energy products that don't currently exist (yet they do.. they are owned or bought up by the current oil cartel)..

I still suggest horse and buggy.

18. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

At the risk of being flamed again I say WELCOME to $5 a gallon gas, I was planning on using equines for transportation mostly anyway when I get home and staying home a lot more so bring it on atleast I will not have to worry so much about gettig run over by a speeding car/truck.Maybe all the people that commute long distances to work a city job to pay their mortgage and live in the country will have to move closer to town and I will have more space and cheaper land available for those like me that have the $ to own it free of a bank, and are willing to buy/build their self a humble country home.

19. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Let the gas go to 5.00 a gallon. I get paid mileage to drive to and from work. If this keeps up the expense will be more than the pay check. If you live in the country this is the way only way to work ....... Getting paid to drive to the city.

20. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Wow,

That's really a selfish attitude. I thought we had this discussion before about how $5/gallon gas hurts the little guy a heck of a lot more then it hurts the guy with a $40,000 car. But hey, if you are confortable with profiting on the misfortune of others. Well, that's between you and your God.

Nikki