gas oven trouble--oven won't get hot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth2, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Elizabeth2

Elizabeth2 Well-Known Member

Our gas oven won't get hotter than about 300 F. It is the kind with a glow bar ignitor, and we replaced the glow bar because the oven wasn't coming on at all, and it solved that problem, but it still won't get hot. The range/oven is the only thing that uses propane, and when our 200 gallon propane tank got so old the company wouldn't refill it, we bought a 20 gallon tank instead. I wonder if somehow with that small tank, there isn't enough pressure to make the oven burn hot? I ask that question in ignorance, not knowing anything about gas appliances, but it's the only way to get answers, because I can't find an answer using Google!
    I do know that since replacing the ignitor didn't solve the problem, it may be that we need to replace the gas valve also. I just thought I'd ask here first.
    Any input greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Years ago my oven was the only thing using propane and we used 20 gallon tanks so I don't think that should be the problem. Sounds more like a thermostat problem to me.

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Back when we had a propane stove we used the small bottles to run it, until we could get a big tank. Didn't have a problem. Sounds like the thermostat may be bad.

4. Elizabeth2

Thanks; I didn't really think it was the tank size, but wanted to make sure. I guess I'll check the price of a gas valve; I think they're quite expensive ($50-$100), so I might be better off buying a new range.
    Elizabeth

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

It could be a thermocouple or thermostat thingy in the oven -- if you look at the top or back somewhere you'll see something that looks like a thing that looks like a piece of wire coat hanger. Sometimes that goes goofy. OR, it could be the thermostat/dial thingy that you turn to set the temperature on the oven. Also, if this is a newer stove, it may have some sort of setting/button/dial that may have gotten pushed by accident where it is simply a "stay warm" setting. These might be worth checking out before you go to the trouble and expense of getting a new one.

Good luck!

MaryNY

6. Elizabeth2

Thanks Mary, I'll check right now. I really don't want to buy a new stove; there are so many things I'd rather spend that money on. But I already paid $25 for the new ignitor, and don't want to keep throwing money at the problem unless I know it will fix it.
    Elizabeth

7. Elizabeth2

OK; the thermostat wire looks fine; how do you test it? I'm afraid this might be something that I will have to call a repair man for, and that's definitely out of the question.

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

ooh! Maybe I should check that site out for my furnace. It stopped blowing last March 2nd. I figger I better get on it in the next 4 weeks or so...

9. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know how to fix it, but I do recognize the symptoms and what might cause them. My father repaired major appliances for more than 40 years and I have heard all those descriptions and cures since I was a baby.

I did find this website and will post it, then come back and post others I find -- this computer doesn't like to pull up a lot of windows at once.

http://appliancerepair.lifetips.com/faq/118661/0/why-won-t-my-oven-get-hot-enough/index.html

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/range01.htm#_top

At this point, it would seem it is the "heat sensor" (the coat hanger wire thingy in the oven) or the calibration on the thermostat (the oven dial). I don't know what you would need to pay for a new stove, but it would probably be more than you would have to pay for someone to come fix these particular problems with the stove you have. Maybe you could call a few places to see how much it would be for someone to come out and check it and replace these particular items if they needed replacing - then you would know what price range you're dealing with, and you could save up a bit if necsssary and have the repair prerson come once you have enough saved up (hopefully before all the holiday cooking needs to be done!). Incidentally, these are "normal" things to go wrong with a kitchen stove, are not "major problems" and do not necessarily mean it is ready for the scrap heap unless it is 30 or 40 years old already and you can't get parts.

MaryNY

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

It sounds like your gas valve is not allowing your main gas to ignite. The pilot is staying on, but the main burner is not lighting? Or, if you have electronic ignition...the pilot is comming on & going off. It could either be the main gas valve, or the electronic box that controls the gas valve. It's usually the gas valve.

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Another good site is www.repairclinic.com.

One thing to check: Turn the oven on and open the broiler compartment so that you can look at the flame. The flame should be a nice blue color, run all the way up both sides of the burner, and most of the across the bottom of the oven. If not, then your gas valve has either gone bad or has some trash in the screen. Sometimes you can take them out and clean them if it is trash. Also, turn the thermostat up to about 400 or 450. If the burner goes off when the oven gets to 300, then your thermostat is bad. If the burner keeps burning, but the temperature is not getting any hotter, then the t-stat is ok, because it's still telling the burner to burn, and your problem is in your valve/flame somewhere. Sometimes the burner itself will get clogged with trash and you have to take it out and clean it.