gas heating stove questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by featherbottom, Sep 21, 2004.

1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............My suggestion would be to Buy yourself a good , used Dearborn gas heater until , you can research and decide on a more expensive wood fired heater . They have supplied heat for years for homes at a modest price . They will work on either propane or natural gas. The ONLY difference being that you have to have a different Orifice for Natural gas. You can also hookup a Thermostat so they will cycle off<<>>on automatically . They last for years and there is no Ash or trash to deal with..........fordy.... :eek: :)

3. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

I would buy either an Empire or a Warm Morning direct vent. Of the two I prefer the Empire. They are much easier to work on [to clean the pilotlight and/or burner] than the WM. oldhoot.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

try looking at these www.acdirect.com

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We use a Monitor which is a direct vent gas system, not pretty though, which PUMPS out heat as efficiently as a gas heater can. Kero, by the way, is one of the most efficient heat sources.

Friend of mine uses a Hearthstone soapstone stove which also pumps out the heat and has the added advantage of heating the stones, which continue to radiate heat after the stove has been turned off. Hers is very pretty.

We use a Hearthstone woodstove, and I'm assuming the experiences are similar: if you're using the stove to take the edge off a cold morning you need to turn the stove off before the room is "warm" or you'll find yourself a few hours later openning windows.

T

6. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

7. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Deb,

The unvented infrared Rinnai has no fumes. You would have to experience one to believe it.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you dont have to get the ac iff you have a crawl space it can all be done under the house put registers in the floor along the outside walls makes for toasty house