Gas Heater?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 6, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well I went got a Gas Heater.It says to put it 36" from ceiling.But where I want it I can only get it 21".

My wife told me to put it up.So I did as the Boss said.She says leave it on Low which is all we need and it will be ok.

Ok what do you Guys think?

big rockpile

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Maybe you can put some type of heat shield on the ceiling or just above the heater

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I'd definitely consider some kind of heat shield or better yet, relocating the heater or using a different kind of heater. 21" is not even 60% of the required distance. You've cut the recommended distance almost in half. That would make me nervous.

Our gas heaters don't have "high" and "low" they have numbers 1 through 5. Turn it to 1 and it gets just as hot as if it were set to 5 but not as often or for as long. Yours might be different; I've only ever been around these two gas heaters so I'm not sure.

Sounds like you're asking for trouble. Just seems too risky to me. A fire is bad bad bad news.

4. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

What kind of ceiling do you have. If it sheetrock you are probably safe, but it wouldn't hurt to doulbe the sheekrock over it amd maybe a foot or so arounf it. You can mud and tape the edges at a 45 tp 60 degree bevel and make it look nice too. 1" of sheet rock is pretty fire proof. It won't burn in the fireplace so I would doubt that a heat 21" away from it will hurt it at all.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well thats what she said.She said if I was really worried I might put that Cement Board up,if you know what I mean.

This Heater isn't the one I thought it was,it don't kick on and off,it just burns all the time.But you can adjust the flame.

big rockpile

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Do this-----------after the heater has been running a few minutes----Lay the back of your hand against the ceiling above it----keep checking it for a while--if it is getting uncomfortablely hot-------you better put up a heat shield or run a fan blowing on the ceiling where it is hot. If it does not get Hot------ or Real warm----it will be fine. Sounds like you got a heater without a thermostat if it burns all the time--I got to have that thermostat!! Good Luck!! Randy

PS---A Cheap Heat shield for the ceiling is one of those metal mats that you put under a wood heater-----mount it with some 1" or more spacers so its not against the ceiling.