Gas Guage Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Cosmic, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

My forward gas tank on a Ford F-150 (1996) truck has been acting weird. Sometimes reads zero, after driving for a while will read maybe 3/4. Appears to be the sender unit. Been cold and snowy, tank is 110% so I haven't even attempted the prelim checks.

Looking around appears the Ford trucks do have gas gauge problems a lot. Anybody else had any experience with this, any good fixes other than replacement. Still haven't done a full check for recalls.

This truck definitely not abused. Only driven to church on Sunday and I have missed my share of prayer meetings. 3535 real miles on a cherry F-150. Uses a lot more gas than my car and I only drive it when I really need a truck. That is about to change soon, will be driving a lot longer distances.

This is bad when they break from just sitting on the blacktop parking in one spot for to long. :D I hate screwing with gas tanks.

2. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

You need to check the recall notices on this. My dad just had his replaced at no charge by the dealer. The ford dealer here had screwed around for 2+ years telling him that they were getting the parts in and would call as soon as possible and that they were on back order. It was the front tank on his too. Seems like it is the switching unit/diverter that they are having problems with. Don't remember for sure what year his truck is but it is around that age.

HTH

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    See if the ground is tight, useing the in tank pumps like we get subject to today it is inportant to allways keep at least 1/4 tank full - the gas helps keep the pumps cool.

4. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Recall notices should be mailed to you. Mine is a '91 which I bought in '97, and about 4 years ago, I received a notice from Ford explaining that there'd been a problem with fires in the steering column and to take it to the dealer for a free checkup/repair. I think car manufacturers use DMV records to locate owners.

No problem with the gas gauge for either tank on mine, but the speedometer is off the charts when it's cold. On a cold day for the first 5 miles of driving, I'm showing like 100 mph and little old ladies pass me a-honking :haha:

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

The old '60 chevy p/u I had got like that. I lubed the speedo cable and finally even replaced it with one off an old parts truck. Never got to stop doing that. Not a big deal as this was by no means a hot rod truck and was in no danger of speeding.