Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was going to grill some chicken. I went out, lifted the lid of the grill, turned on the tank, turned on the burner and hit the ignition switch. It did not ignite. I hit it again and it still did not ignite. My 7 yo ds came running over and I turned to him to tell him to get back (he knows he is not allowed near the grill when I am starting it). I waited until he backed away and then I turned back to the grill and hit the ignition again.

Apparently I had waited too long. The gas exploded and a HUGE fireball engulfed me. My son let out a blood curling scream and I have never been so scared in my life. I turned to him and he had his face covered with his hands and was screaming "Am I on fire?" I pulled his hands away and he was fine. His hair was singed but other than that he was ok.

There was a horrible burnt hair smell and my next thought was that my hair was on fire. I have long very thick hair and I grabbed it to make sure it was not burning.

I picked him up and ran through the house to the bathroom and looked in the mirror expecting to see a horribly disfigured face. By the grace of God we were both ok. My face is not even red.

We dropped to our knees right there and thanked the Lord that he had kept us safe.

My hair was singed badly and when I brushed it out my bathroom sink and counter were covered in broken off burnt hair.

I'm posting this because I want everyone to know how quickly things can happen. In the blink of an eye, your life can change. If something had happened to my son... well, I don't even want to think about it. Thank God he is OK.

I use the grill all the time and I have turned it off before and waited a few minutes because it did not light right away. I should have done it this time but I was in a hurry and distracted. Later, I had a nice long talk with him about how THIS is why they are not allowed near the grill.

I am crying again just thinking about it.

Beth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
How horrible!!! I always light my grill with the lid closed. I thought that was the proper way to do it...turn on burners, push ignite button...then turn down burners and open lid. Im so sorry you had to go thru that and yes, Praise the Lord for your safety!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jennifer,

Please, please do not light your grill when it is closed! That can cause what happened with mine only much worse!! The gas builds up under the lid and can explode when it ignites.

My inlaws had a neighbor do that and it literally blew his skin off! There was a horrible explosion and when my inlaws ran over, he had skin hanging off his arms and face.

Beth
 

·
..where do YOU look?
Joined
·
3,920 Posts
Here's what I see....

1. Horrible situation and pressure
2. You live through it
3. The first thing you did was hit your knees - with your son - and thank our Lord you were safe

Mom... your son is safe because of your example, and it's got nothing at all to do with propane.

R
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,534 Posts
Glad your ok, thats really scary i've had that happen to me before too, and i stayed away from the grill for a little bit, let DH light it..
but lighting it with the lid down would be very dangerous too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
Bgraham, if you notice anything at all unusual about your skin go to the doctor. Oddly enough, third degree burns can look unburned for the first 24 hours and because of nerve destruction may not hurt much.

Also, if you start to feel generally sick and flu-like, go in.

People have been known to come in for the second degree burns on their hands after such incidents (which are painful), completely unaware of the third degree burn on their face.

Likelyhood of this is not terribly high but the fact your hair was burned suggests there was enough heat involved to be dangerous. Do you still have eyebrows? If so you're probably all right (but no guarantees).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
my mom's oven did this to my sister when I was wayyyyy younger (sis is 10 yrs older than I am).....she refused to light the thing....we had to light it with a match....the stove didnt have a ignition system......

let me repeat:

Dont EVER light the grill with the lid down....the lid could explode clean off the grill.....at least with the lid open, some of the gas gets to excape...with the lid closed you are just asking for a bigger fireball

Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Oh my word! I am also one who is scared to light the grill. I am so very very glad you and your son are ok. This gives me more caution than I had before when lighting it next time.
God Bless,
Michele
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,208 Posts
glad to hear you and your child are ok and weren't seriously injured.

that is why I use charcoal..I am scared of gas grills, gas water heaters, gas and gas stoves..

rather wait a bit for the coals to settle than risk blowing myself to bits..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
my wife always refuses to lite it for this very reason..we had a bbq last weekend with charcoal and the tatste was very different..I n a good way
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
bgraham said:
Later, I had a nice long talk with him about how THIS is why they are not allowed near the grill.
I think he understands that, now. He won't do it again. Thank God nobody got hurt.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,835 Posts
Cleaning the ends where the gas emits from cuts down on fireballs. I don't use propane. I am old school: coal and wood!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
I'm a charcoal-only man myself, but I used to always stay back an arm's length and hunker down when I pushed the "Ignite" button.

That way, the fireballs are above and away from you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,840 Posts
Glad you'er ok and gave credit to who credit was due. Another tip we sometimes forget is on those days when smoke and clouds hang close to the ground so does fumes from gas, charcoal lighter fluid. When lit the flame follows the fumes, even inside a house if a window or door is open. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
im glad your both ok. i had a similar situation years ago lost my eye brows, mustash, and some hair. has nothing to do with my present lack of hair though :rolleyes: just be glad that everyone is ok and your attention is sure to be on that gas and where everyone is.

dean
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top