Gas Gauge problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WanderingOak, Sep 7, 2005.

1. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I had the fuel tank on my '88 S-10 replaced late last month. At 18 years of age, the bottom was starting to rot out. With the new tank, I was told that I needed to replace the sending unit as well. I have only gassed up a few times with the new tank, but I have noticed that my gas gauge is not as accurate anymore. With my old sending unit, when the gauge was at 1/2 tank, I could be reasonably sure that I had about 10 gallons remaining, and at 1/4 tank, 5 left in the tank. However, with my new sending unit, 1/4 tank means about 8 gallons remaining (that is, I can put in 12), and at dead empty, I can put nearly 16 in. I do trust my mechanic, but at first I wondered if he goofed and gave me a 16 gallon tank by mistake (I think that is the tank size on 4 cyl S-10s). I did verify that the part number of the tank that I was given is for a 20 gallon tank, which means that there is a problem with either the sending unit or the gas gauge. Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem? I would like to avoid dropping the tank unless absolutely necessary.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't belive that I ever had a vehicle with an accurate gas gauge. The gauge on my Chevy pick-up often seems to stop moving down once it hits about 3/8 of a tank. I've gotten to the point that I don't even use the gas guage. What I do it just use my trip odometer. I set it to zero at each fill. Then I know to re-fill once I've driven about 350 miles.

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I have the same Chevy S10 Blazer, & so do many friends. All of us have inaccurate gages. Most of their's will go down below empty before they get gas. When mine gets to a 1/4, it drops to empty within the next 25 miles, & when it is dead on empty,, it stalls!!

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Is the new sending unit for the 16 or 20 gallon tank. How far up does your gauge read now? Move off of full quicker? or hang on full longer? I ask these because the float rod can be bent to adjust the reading.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

The gauge does go up all the way. It does go off of full slightly quicker. My mechanic really doesn't want to drop the tank again. I'd do it myself, except that I am recovering from knee surgery and am not the most limber person in the world right now.

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

Gas gauges are the least reliable gauges on cars. On most older cars they don't work properly. I would never drop the tank just to fix the gas guage. Just use the odometer, and be conservative.