Gas furnace

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by billyj, Mar 17, 2005.

1. billyj

billyj Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I a few days or as soon as my income tax gets here I'm going to replace the furnace in my home. So, I wonder if this would be the best forum to discuss this subject. I will be asking for advise, best type of unit, price, how I should go about getting a price (apples for apples) so that everyone is on the same page ect. I have a whirlpool that's now on 30yrs old, still runs good. But, I'm concern that the heat chamber may in poor shape and I don't need carbon dioxide coming the the living area. Thanks for any advise you folks may have.

Billy J.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

buy a CO detector for now, and then shop around,

3. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Make sure you get the right size, if it's too big it will run in short cycles, if too small you could be cold. Forced air furnaces seem to be two flavors 80% and 90% efficient. The 90% uses outside air and returns cool air up the stack. Sometimes a 90% causes excessive condensation in the stack so the old stack should be replaced if you use it with a 90% furnace. Check the payback between the 80% and 90%, if you live in a cold climate the 90% should pay for itself. The new blowers are much stronger than the 30 year old ones so your ducts may whistle and pop when the blower starts. If you have dust in the ductwork the new blower will blow it all over your house, so consider having the ductwork cleaned.

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

My mother has a fifty year old furnace, hot water heater and central air conditioner in her house. All of them will probably last another 50+ years. The combustion chambers in both the furnace and the hot water tank are made out of cast iron rather than the sheet metal used today.

Have the combustion chamber checked in your furnace. If it's cast iron it will outlast the new furnace you're planning on buying to replace it. The stuff on the market today doesn't have a long life. The monel water heater mentioned above will probably outlast both my mother and I. You'll be lucky to get five years out of a new hot water heater today. If the house is sold in the future I'll probably include a clause in the contract that if the furnace, hot water heater or air conditioner are replaced, the originals must be removed carefully and given to me.

5. backtobasics

backtobasics Member

I do recommend the 90+ variable speed models. They are 2 stage furnaces.
    just for example if it's a 100,000 btu furnace, it first fires at 70% = 70,000
    btu's if you do not need the whole 100,000 btu's, which is the case most spring and fall times. They also have variable speed fans drives which provide the proper air flow and cost a whole lot less to operate.savings could be as high as 600+ dollars a year over a conventional furnace. I have many of these in for customers and they all love them. I would look for what type of equipment is sold locally. I mostly use Armstrong Air, because they have a stainless steel primary and secondary heat exchanger. If I can anwser any other questions, feel free to contact me @ jim@heatingandcoolingNow.com

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

try this place www.acdirect.com they will help you in sizeing they are a little cheaper then buying in a heating store and some heating stores wont even sell to you if you are not a contractor and there delivery is free