Gas Fridge Problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have knowledge on the gas refridgerators. My came out of a new Hurricane damaged Travel Trailer--So it was New when I got it a year ago. I don't use it alot. A few days ago I turned it on---using electricity--It got up to around freezing in the top---then seemed to just cut off----temp went back up-----I checked on the back where it heats the "gas" --it was cold. So I turned it off------then back on--in a few it was back to heating the "gas"---went back up to freezing----again cut off--------so I turned on the propane---it lit right up------started heating the gas-------temp went to freezing again-------gas shut off---------but with gas----a few hours later after the temp inside gets to almost normal outside temp---it will relite and bring the temp back to freezing. I have never known of the gas cutting on and off and it worked good the last time it was used---2 months ago. It is one with automatic ignition and gas valve-----just two small buttons operate it----one, you push in to turn it on-----the other----in for auto(gas or electric), out for gas only----and factory set tempature---no adjustments(colder/hotter). Any Idea's?? Thanks! Randy

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

First thing I would do is make sure there are no spider webs blocking anything. Be sure and look in the vent pipe. When I've had problems with gas fridges it was usually a plugged vent pipe. I have needed to replace thermocouples, but with a new unit I wouldn't think that was a problem. If it isn't a plugged vent it is out of my ability to figue it out tho.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Try 'burping' it.Right side for a day,upside down for a day,left side for a day,then upright for a day,and fire her up.Old Rv'er trick for bulky refers,worth a shot.

Figure a good 8 hours to get cold,could even take a day.

BooBoo

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

It's my understanding the automatic changeover boxes need a constant 12 volt supply to work right. It might cycle like you're describing without it. Restarting either gas or electric would work until the thermostat cycled, then with no 12 volt to the circuit board, it can't "remember" what it mode it was running in so it just shuts down. I like the old manual change over boxes that don't have that problem.

5. Fire-Man

It does have a 12volt source---if not it would not work or I don't see how-----it has 12volt valves that turn the gas on etc. My older one was a manual one-Yea I had rather have it manual---A family member was working at a Camping place---he found this one for $375-----it was new but came out of a Hurricane destroyed Travel Trailer. I felt I was getting a Good deal-----But he don't work there anymore. I am going to call him tomorrow and see if he can come by and look at it for me---or has a friend that still works there that could. Camper World wants a Fortune just to look at it. Thanks Randy

6. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Wish you were closer, there's a place in Harrison, AR that rebuilds them.

7. Fire-Man

When it cycles off-------------and starts getting hotter inside-------I found out that if I unplug the thermistor from the circuit board-----it will start right up and start cooling. But. I can plug it right back in---and it will keep running(not sure how long) unless I shut the fridge off then it will not start again till the temp gets to about 70 degree's or I unplug the thermistor again. I think the thermistor is bad. I was checking ohms to see if it is lowering or raising resistance as it gets cooler/hotter----It is holding at 12K for a while now. Anyone familiar with this type circuit? Thanks Randy

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member