Gas cooking stove suggestions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Our oven is giving us problems. It won't control the temp properly and the problem seems to be the oven thermostat. Of course the part is about $100 and it's now time to decide if it's worth fixing or replacing the stove. What we have now is a 12 year old 30" Hotpoint GAS range, 4 burner, manual clean oven. We don't have any real problem with the design or function of the stove when it's working properly.
    If we decide to replace what features should we consider and what brands seem to be the best. Of course we'll be sticking with natural gas for fuel.

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Our rule of thumb is if the repair costs 1/2 the value of the appliance, we replace.

Most of todays ranges will require, or suggest a 1" gas line (for natural gas). You can get by with a smaller line, but you will regret it if you get the higher output burners.

Most ranges are 4 burner. Look for one high output, and one low output btu burner. High one helps boiling things faster, and the low one make simmering nice.

Some people like having a gas range top and electric oven. We looked at it and decided it was not worth the extra money.

Even in a standard site unit, you can get two ovens. Again, some really like that, but here too, we passed on the cost. When we need a second oven we breakout the roaster oven.

We have self cleaning, but never use it. We clean it ourselves.

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

You might try this place for parts:
    http://www.partselect.com/
    Or, go to Google and then enter Froogle, it's right above the enter info. box on google...

4. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Similar situation, 20+ year old electric range (Jenn Air) needed some work and replacement parts. Cost was going to be a couple of hundred dollars and a new Jenn Air was out of the question due to cost. Wife wanted new stove and a switch to gas. Found a top of the line Sears Kenmore MSRP $ 1500 five gas burners w/electric convection oven at Sears store for 599. It's last years model but brand new. New model is 1350 on sale. Had the stove for a month now and it is great. Bargains are out there just keep looking until you find one. Also came with th orifices for propane.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

On another thread somewhere I told about my new gas stove that I just bought. It is a Premier and mine is propane or natural (just changed the setting to propane). One of the nice features about their stoves is that you can use the oven when the power is out. The model I have is very efficient as I live off the grid and it has absolutely no electric things on it. No glow bar, no light, no clock, etc. No plug anywhere. I bought it at Backwoods Solar and it's great. I love it!

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I went looking at stoves today. It looks like the part isn't as expensive as a new stove so I'm pretty sure I'll order the part and install it. It's been a good stove and doesn't have any electronics except for auto matic pilot. The oven is the only problem I've had with this stove, I've replaced the gas valve on the oven due to leakage and now the thermostat.
    Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep them in mind as I know this won't last forever. It's funny though how my Mom had the same gas stove as long as I can remember until we sold the house when I was 30. The stove was probably there when they bought the house a few years before I was born. It had pilot lights for the stove top and you had to light the oven every time with a match.

7. oldhoot

oldhoot In Remembrance

If it were me I'd bite the bullet and fix what you have. The new stoves are mostly cheap built [lots of'm are mexican made] and have all the electronic ignition junk. You will probably not find a stove as well built as your old one. oldhoot.