Gas $2.60/gal

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nax, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I just paid $2.60/gal for gas. Where will it end?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

When you nolonger buy it :grump:

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Well-Known Member

Right now we're transitioning from

supply 82million barrels per day / demand 82 million barrels per day

to

supply 82.5 mbpd/ demand 86 mbpd for the 3&4 q this year.

It's going to get worse.

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

When the gas is gone.

5. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

a guy at work was told by his friend, a manager at the local gas station, that he had just recieved an email from his fuel supplier to expect prices of $3.50/Gal real soon...

6. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Sounds like i need to start work on that gassifier.
    Theres just something satisfying about a van that burns wood.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I guess some actually do understand! When the oil is gone or when we no longer buy it is when it will end.

tsdave,
    I'm surprised that many self reliant people haven't made steamers. It isn't exactly inventing the wheel as they gave internal combustion a run for their money years ago and don't forget all the locomotives. Instead everyone is stuck in the box and keeps trying to feed different fuels to their existing engines.

8. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

We have no one to blame but ourselves. In the late 70's a relative of my was working as an engineer for a government program whose purpose was to develope a car that used very little gas. He said (back then) that by the 1990's a car would probably get about 80 miles to the gallon. When Reagan was elected his administration stripped this project of all their funding and the program was closed down. My relative went on to work for one of the big car manufacturers, but they told him they were not interested in fuel efficiency. People wanted larger vehicles that could carry all their stuff and no one cared how many miles to the gallon the vehicle got. He ended up designing engines for SUV's. Until recently car buyers listed fuel efficiency as the last thing they considered when buying transportation.

By the way, gas in England is almost $7 a gallon - so count your blessings.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Day before yesterday I filled up at $2.19. The gas price went to $2.35 at the same station yesterday.

Hubby was in line to get diesel at a station outside of Houston, and they raised the price ten cents while he was in line. :mad:

The GOOD side of all this is that the little guys in the oilfield: roughnecks, roustabouts, tool pushers, etc... are working to get more crude oil out of the ground for all of us. Lots of truck drivers hauling pipe and mud. Lots of rental companies setting up trailers for crews to live in. Lots of portapotty rentals. Retired folks working as gate guards. Welders. Bulldozer drivers. And all those folks are buying food and clothes and etc. Employment....it's a good thing. :goodjob:

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

11. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

$2.89 pg........reg
    $3.09 pg........prim.

Talking $3.50 pg .........reg by the end of the month. Also heard gas will go down again in the Fall, just in time for heating to go up.

Ya just can't win sometimes.

12. Swampthing

The difference in their price and ours are taxes that pay for their health coverage. How much do you spend on health insurance and out of pocket costs? divide that by the number of gallons of gas you use and add it to you gas cost and you come out with a figure very close to what they pay.

13. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

At $60/bbl, oil is 18 CENTS a pint. When's the last time you bought something vital for that cheap? Our cheap gas honeymoon is over, for good.

14. diane greene

Mikell - I know I was somewhat flip in my post and there is certainly a bigger picture here, but my cousin was really surprised by the lack of priority put on fuel efficiency due to lack of cnsumer interest. As a consumer controlled economy, I think we really dropped the ball on this issue. Consumers wanted bigger vehicles and until recently the mileage was not a major consideration. The car companies just gave us what we were willing to pay for.

15. diane greene

Very true Swamp and I should mention I am totally in favor of socialized medicine (if we can learn from the mistakes of others), especially since I am self-employeed and cannot afford health insurance for myself or my employees. I believe the gas taxes in Europe are used for various social programs and their public transportation systems are excellent. I have ridden the rails and buses of England, France, Italy, Greece, Switzerland, Germany, and Spain and never once felt the need to rent a car.

16. I'm buying me a 3 wheel bicycle! It cost me a $5 bill just to go to the nearest convenient store and back.

17. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I lived in Europe for a few years as well, and while gas is high there, I have to agree that there are fine alternatives for transportation other than cars, plus a very generous social safety net. Of course, the big question is how sustainable are those social programs? Whatever the answer, they are a much higher priority for the Europeans than for us, so they'll always probably have more than we do as far as that goes, or at least will want to have more.

18. Swampthing

America's so big i don't think public transportation is a viable alternative for the majority.

19. Swampthing

I didn't check your math because I agree with your premiss, but did you know the "oil barrel" is a 42 galllon barrel. The oil companies can get about 35 gallons of gasoline out of it. (Oil isn't really shipped in barrels, it's just a unit of measure.)

20. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Yikes; Will it ever stop?

I think the only reason the prices of gas continues to rise, is because we continue to support the action. What would happen if we all decided to stay home for two days? (I know, it sounds like a dream). If every driver stopped operating their car for a day or two ( all on the same day of course) there would be a huge surplus of gas everywhere. I'm sure no one would go bankrupt over it, but it would sure let a few people know that it could be a tough haul if we all came together to fight these prices.

What would be a good day for all of you to stay home? Most of us go to work five days per week, so driving is almost necessary those days. What about weekends. Do we have to attend some of those events that we go to? Vacations? 2600 mile road trip? Yikes wouldn't want to be paying for that.

Anyway, lets start a "Gas-out" day or two and see what happens.

What about Oct 15-16,2005? That's a weekend. Spread the word to everyone you know and get it on the internet. This could be a world wide event if enough people get on the bandwagon. Lets make it happen.

Don/wis