Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never planted Elephant Garlic before so sent for some from Randy Rooster on the Barter forum...OMGoodness!!! It came today and the cloves are HUGE!!! I've never seen such large ones and in awesome shape. :) So if you are thinking about planting garlic this fall, check in with Randy Rooster!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i have gotten garlic from him and it was super nice and like you said huge.i grew some nice garlic from what i got from him.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
just break apart heads into individual cloves and plant.depending where you live its about time to get it in ground. i will be planting mine before oct1st.

Reactions: Solar Geek

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Elephant garlic is big because it's not garlic it's an onion lol. But they are fun to grow also. It's much more mild than garlic and be careful it cooks different also. It can get bitter. I'm looking for some new varieties to plant now. We love to eat it raw if we are around sick people lol. Otherwise we never seem to have enough.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
the elephant garlic is not strong enough tasting for me..be it onion or garlic...lol....i like extra strong garlic .

ETA: eat,drink and stink....lol..i saw that on a shirt from a garlic festival in california a friend had.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
That sounds great COS, but I'm with Elk, I love garlic and I like it strong flavored...guess I'd make a pretty poor date. :D Maybe I need one of those shirts Elk saw, lol. I do love 40 cloves of garlic chicken, yum!

So Elk, do you have a recommendation for a good strong garlic? I haven't actually grown any yet, but want to. I want to dry some of it plain, and I also want to make dried roasted garlic powder out of some of it.

I bought some roasted garlic powder from somebody on here about 5-6 years ago, and I'm almost out...only bought 10 pounds! :hysterical: I DID give some to my son and his family, didn't eat all of it myself, but I DO love me some garlic! My mail carrier didn't appreciate it much though, ha!

U

·
0 Posts
Martin(Paquebot) used to give away or sell(cheap) garlic bulbils for some pretty good garlic. One bears his name in the Burpee's catalog now, "Martin's Old Heirloom Garlic" and the other I believe was "French Rochambeau". You can find his email address in some of the old "free seeds" threads he started.

Garlic is a multi-year process. If you plant bulbils in the fall, you will get rounds the following summer, and a few small bulbs. Plant the rounds that fall for nice sized bulbs the following year.

Elephant garlic cloves planted this fall will also give a mix of rounds and comparatively small bulbs. The rounds are fairly large, and if planted in fall for the following year, will give you huge bulbs.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i like the martin garlic if you can find it.he said on here he was no longer going to offer it so people are going to have to get from other sources.also there was something going on with the large producer of his garlic in his area ..not sure what happened with that.

any garlic that has the purple stripes seems to have great flavor to me.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I look for the purple striped garlic too. Better flavor.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Thanks y'all! I have it on my list of things to do on my day off Friday, find some and order it. So If I get it planted before October 1st I'm okay?

Sorry for hijacking your thread COS! :)

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's OK Callie!!! :) I've never tried the Elephant Garlic before but I've heard that it is good. :) I have planted the kind from the store and it has done well but I would like to try a good hardy hard necked kind also. Any suggestions anyone???

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Suggesting a strong flavoured garlic - the ones I like most are any of the Russian red hardnecks, my very most favourite is the one called Georgia Fire which is exceptionally garlicy with delicious buttery overtones, oily and spicy hot but not too hot. The outer papery skin on the head is off-white streaked with purple. The individual cloves on each head are covered with purple or red husks which are tougher than that on white garlics. The heads are big with big cloves and a really good sized head will have 7 - 10 cloves on it but most have 5 - 7. The bulbils from the flowering tops are about the size of a pea and have a purple husk. The garlic scapes are also delicious and great for pickling.

Being in the PNW region I plant my Russian red hardnecks in mid to late October and usually harvest in July the next summer.

The Russian reds all look a lot like this Russian red Rocambole (also a wonderful variety):

Below is Russian red hardneck "Georgia Fire" ........ Yummy !!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts