Garlic question?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dakota, Nov 20, 2006.

1. dakota

dakota Member

I planted garlic for the 1st time this year. It's about 6" - 8" tall now. Is that normal for fall planting? Will it still grow all winter? I didn't expect it to get this tall so fast. Anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks!

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

The extra tall fall growth is because you planted it early for your area. November first would be the approximate proper time. It's no big problem in your area since it won't be cold enough to do much harm. The ends of the leaves will freeze but otherwise they'll be OK. If you are still nervous, throw a few inches of straw over them. Won't have much effect on the end results but you'll have the satisfaction of doing something!

Martin

3. dakota

dakota Member

Next year, I won't plant so early. I appreciate the information.

4. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I'm in western PA. I usually plant around Halloween and don't see topgrowth until late winter/early spring when it will start peeking up through the snow. A neighbor of mine plants a little earlier and ends up with 2 to 4 inches of topgrowth before the first snow flys. In the end I think we both do pretty well. The garlic will not continue producing topgrowth through the coldest part of winter.

I think you'll be OK

5. dakota

dakota Member

Thanks. I planted at the end of October (when the garlic supplier said it was the proper time) and am surprised at the growth. Didn't think I would see so much in such a short time.