garlic ? Maine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by foxies, Sep 1, 2004.

1. foxies

foxies Well-Known Member

Hi
    We are living in Maine, so what month should I plant garlic?
    Thanks

2. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Maine would be about the same as Wisconsin for planting garlic. Thus figure around 15 September as the time to get those stinkers into the ground. Depending upon what the weather does, you may or may not get fall growth from planting about that time. Either way, it doesn't matter as long as you give them a few inches of mulch for winter protection.

Last year, I actually planted some on the last day, 31 December, just to prove that they will not only survive the cold storage but also produce normal large bulbs. 100% survival and big bulbs!

Overall, I grew 18 varieties this year and 24 are in the works for planting this fall. Two of those for this year were planted in the spring. Results were great with the only difference being that the harvest was about 3 weeks later than the fall-planted garlic.

Martin

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Does garlic get picked before you put the warmer weather veggies in to grow? I have limited space. I don't know a think about growing garlic, but we sure use a lot of it here.

brural

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

You harvest the garlic the fall of the next year, so plant it somewhere where you won't be planting anything next spring/summer.