Garlic in Containers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HoosierDeb, Dec 28, 2003.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

Has anyone grown garlic in containers? I didn't get my garlic planted (again) and wondered if it would work if I planted it in pots. I have some muck buckets I could plant it in or could do it in smaller pots. Would it transplant in the spring or grow out in the containers okay?

DebF
    N. Indiana

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

I've grown both onions and garlic in pots but never until they were mature. The way to do it is to plant the garlic bulb in about a 4" pot and put it in an area that stays cool so that it doesn't grow too rapidly. You want it to grow some roots but not to outgrow the container. Onions and garlic transplant quite well----I've never had one die from being transplanted. This is kind of like forcing tulip bulbs.
    Manny

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

is your ground frozen solid? i used to have pretty fair success planting garlic in february or even march for harvesting the same year. it didn't get as big as fall planted garlic but still very adequate. that was in new mexico @ 6200 ft elevation. our nominal last frost was about mothers' day.