Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I harvested my garlic and put it in an onion sack and hung in a building to dry some. Smells great in there, Now I can use this to plant this fall and start a new bed Right?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
You've got it right! For best results, use the larger bulbs as your planting stock and don't separate the cloves until you're ready to plant. That should be around the first of October for you.

Martin

·
Becky
489 Posts
Martin

Any suggestions on where to buy SMALL quanties at a decent price.

I can't see paying 4.95-9.95 a bulb.

I'm looking to try 8-10 varieties of mild, 1 medium and maybe 1 elephant, there's only 2 of us so I only need at a bulbs worth of each.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Speckledpup said:
Martin

Any suggestions on where to buy SMALL quanties at a decent price.
There is no place cheaper than www.wegrowgarlic.com I suggested $1.00 to $1.50 per bulb plus shipping for the common varieties, more for the rare ones. That's what they went with. (SSE gets minimum $2.50 per bulb.) We're not looking to get rich but to have fun. Supply limited on many so don't wait too long. Elephant's already gone. Of course, tell Karen that Martin sent you!

Normally I would have quite a wide variety but it didn't make much sense to duplicate everything that's grown on the farm. Therefore I concentrated on building up a stock of new ones for next year. Otherwise, I could have helped you.

Martin

·
Becky
489 Posts
Martin
I sent my order this morn, guess I should have asked you to look it over first. From reading the description I think I've ordered all mild, please tell me I'm close to being right?

Already harvested my grocery store garlic. (yeah bought a bulb last year and tried it) and they did fantastic. Hey first year, started small only 10 plants, but it has me hooked.

My Order
Martins Heirloom (this one was a must have)
Purple Glazer
Spanish Roja
Simonetti
Red Toch
Inchelium Red
Vostani

Now next round of questions.

Will the hardneck cross if planted by each other (I want to try and save seeds, try being the key word)

If they cross can I re-plant from the cloves and them remain true)

Except for saving the bulbs of softnecks, do they reproduce any other way?

In the pictures at the site the plant spacing looks to be about 12 inches, is that right. If so I had mine planted way to close, they were maybe 6 inches apart (10 in a 16X16 section of a raised bed) Grown in a combo of potting soil and pond silt.

I've already split my bulbs, what are the chances of them growing? (Yeah I know why do something like that? Basically saving the harvest. Dehydrated some, some in oil, then froze the rest of the smaller ones. I held back 25 of the largest cloves to re-plant.)

That was round 1. LOL

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Speckledpup said:
Martin
I sent my order this morn, guess I should have asked you to look it over first. From reading the description I think I've ordered all mild, please tell me I'm close to being right?

Already harvested my grocery store garlic. (yeah bought a bulb last year and tried it) and they did fantastic. Hey first year, started small only 10 plants, but it has me hooked.

My Order
Martins Heirloom (this one was a must have)
Purple Glazer
Spanish Roja
Simonetti
Red Toch
Inchelium Red
Vostani
You got some good ones there and all should be stronger than what you grew from the store. Purple Glazer is the earliest one of the lot and has real thin skin on the bulbs. Thus it has a habit of splitting the skin. That spoils the good looks of its purple stripes but makes up for it in good taste.

Spanish Roja is a nice one and supposedly in short supply everywhere. If you find Mexican Red, I think that they are the same variety.

Simonetti is one softneck that I've grown for years and always appreciated the longer storage and big bulbs.

Vostani was one that was "lost" early on but I nursed it at home until there was sufficient planting stock. I was surprised and pleased that there was enough now to offer some of that one.

Red Toch was one of 3 new ones which Filaree sent last fall in exchange for 14 pounds of Martin's. I've never grown it so you'll have to trust whatever Karen said about it.

Now next round of questions.

Will the hardneck cross if planted by each other (I want to try and save seeds, try being the key word)

If they cross can I re-plant from the cloves and them remain true)
They can't cross since they do not produce true flowers and do not make seeds. That's why you only buy them as bulbs.

In the pictures at the site the plant spacing looks to be about 12 inches, is that right. If so I had mine planted way to close, they were maybe 6 inches apart (10 in a 16X16 section of a raised bed) Grown in a combo of potting soil and pond silt.
12 inch spacing is indeed what we have found to be best in the field. Over the years, I've also been steadily increasing the space from originally 6 inches to nearly a foot now. 6 inches is fine for getting a lot of small bulbs but I've watched the overall average size increase with the wider spacing.

I've already split my bulbs, what are the chances of them growing?
You'll be OK. They are a softneck variety and have a long shelf life.

One other thing, don't expect a lot of cloves on some of those hardnecks. Many have only 5 or 6 cloves but they are big ones. There's one variety, Rosewood I think, that only averages 4 cloves. Martin's will probably have around 15 or so since it's one of few hardnecks which have a double row of cloves.

Martin

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
james dilley said:
O k as long as we are talking Garlic, What Varities for zone 10 For fall planting?? Any ideas thanks
Down there, you'd want to look for almost any softneck varieties. They originated around the Mediterranean where winters are very mild and summers very warm. Many of the hardnecks would rush to maturity in the heat and not make large bulbs. So, for a beginner in South Texas, definitely start with something fool-proof like Simonetti or Italian Late. If all else fails, plant whatever is available in your local supermarket since most of that would be a softneck.

Martin

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I planted garlic last fall but none came up. What's the secret to making it grow? Does it need sun or shade? Lots of water, very little water? I followed the instructions I found online, but ended up with nothing.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Spinner said:
I planted garlic last fall but none came up. What's the secret to making it grow? Does it need sun or shade? Lots of water, very little water? I followed the instructions I found online, but ended up with nothing.
If you planted garlic according to instructions and nothing came up, you either had dead cloves, buried them, or winter killed them. Plant the cloves 8 to 10 inches apart in well-drained rich soil, pointed end up, one to two inches of soil above the tips. Mulch after planting with 2 to 4 inches of shredded leaves, straw, or hay. Full sun and an average of about 3/4 inch of rain per week during the growing season.

Martin

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
How long before frost should I plant my garlic?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
NickieL said:
How long before frost should I plant my garlic?
For garlic, one doesn't go by frost date but calender date. A planting chart for Zones 4-8 would begin at 9/15 and then add 15 days per zone. Zone 5 would be 9/30. Zone 6, 10/15. Zone 7, 10/30. And Zone 8 at 11/15.

Freezing will not hurt garlic. If planted too early, there will be a lot of fall growth which will in turn be somewhat damaged by freezing. That doesn't normally harm the plant but will slow it down. Garlic does best if it has just barely a chance to begin making roots but little or no surface growth. All of what is seen on the garlic site were planted the 21st and 23rd of October due to a lot of scheduling and weather problems. Most of the holes were dug into frozen ground with a cordless auger. Zero fall growth. No problem!

Martin

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Oh, I went to that site and I am SO excited! I just now emailed my order!

(and hey, folks! If you want to know what Martin looks like, his picture is on the site!)

Of course, I ordered the Martin's Heirloom; I also ordered the Simonetti because that was my high school band instructor's name. ;) Forget the other two, but I am sure I will be happy with them.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
This might be a silly question.........

I started a strawberry patch this year. Could I interplant with garlic? The reason I ask is that this is the section of garden that won't get tilled up in the spring.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
tinknal said:
I started a strawberry patch this year. Could I interplant with garlic? The reason I ask is that this is the section of garden that won't get tilled up in the spring.
Garlic doesn't like close neighbors. It would survive among your strawberries but not excel. Also, harvest would come shortly after the berries were done. Those plants would be just recovering from fruiting and then have their roots disrupted when the garlic is dug. However, if you planted your strawberries in rows about 3 feet apart, then you could plant a row of garlic between the rows.

Martin

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Pony,

I'm looking at 20 of the Martin's Heirloom garlic I ordered from WeGrowGarlic.com and you will love it. It's fantastic looking garlic.

I'm just patiently waiting until I can get it planted!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts