Garlic Alternative To Pesticide

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Mar 13, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Garlic Tabs

Garlic is being used as an alternative to chemical pesticides in Bangladesh.

A four-year research project funded by the United States Department of Agriculture has developed a garlic tablet that can treat seeds for control of pathogens and insects.

The garlic tablets, which cost less than one US cent each, are used to mix a solution into which the seeds are then dipped.

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm guessing the garlic gives pest resistance to the seed, not the resulting plant. Seeds are a major pest target. Typically, they are fumigated after harvest, but fumigation has no residual and the seeds are subject to subsequent infestation in storage, during shipment, and at the final distribution points.

3. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

long ago.... (counting on my fingers)... 32 yrs ago... I remember someone telling me to crush garlic in vegetable oil... let it set for several days and then strain the garlic out.. put the oil in a spray bottle and spray your veggies with it... that it would keep bugs away... you just needed to spray a couple of times a week.

I never tried it..i used praying mantis' and my fingers to pluck bugs away.. as well as I planted marigolds.

lynn in reno

4. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

We started having japanese beetles in our area last year (I had never seen them here before) and someone told me to put garlic juice diluted in canola oil in a spray bottle and spray the trees and they would leave. Some of our fruit trees and grapes were heavily infested within a few days. I simply poured the liquid off of some of my crushed garlic, put it in a spray bottle with oil and sprayed the fruit trees and grapes, as well as my garden. The beetles were gone the next day.
    halfpint

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I've used dried pepper(the cheap plastic ones)and have had good results with keeping the rabbits away!

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Easier to just plant garlic in between your plants.