Gardens Alive! Specialty Fertilizers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jack in VA, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

They have them for tomatoes, potatoes, corn, etc.Anyone used them and think they are worth it, as opposed to an all purpose type? This will be my 3rd summer gardening on reclaimed lawn. I've been adding a lot of organic material and it;s a good loam. This year I will using my own compost, rabbit and chicken manure, wood ash, and worm castings. Do I really need to add any thing else? Don't care to spend anymore money than necessary, but I really want to have a "prize-winning" crop this year. Less than 2000 sf, Zone 7, SWVA.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

I had a free coupon for them last year and I tried the fertilizer for potatoes and tomatoes. I used on half of the plants and the rest were just as normal. I did not notice any difference in production.

3. Jack in VA

Well,that's about as good of an answer as I could ask for.

4. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I experimented last year with a trace mineral called Azomite (volcanic ash) and a pelletized natural fertilizer from Nature's Intent. I planted potatoes, canteloupe, tomatoes and beans in almost pure sand. The result was amazing. Very good harvest, especially with the potatoes, which were huge and plentiful. Also used a fish based foliar spray called Mermaid's. It seemed to be the right combination.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

While not a specific fertilizer, I have used Spray-N-Grow micro-nutrient foliar fertilizer with excellent results. I did not use it on vegetables however.

http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/

6. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

These specialized fertilizers would have good results in soils that are lacking in major nutrients for the crop being grown.
    Food plants, like animals, have different food requirements- corn will take huge amounts of nitrogen that would burn other plants, tomatoes want a lot of calcium, potatoes don't need much N but like a lot of phos and potash.

Have you done a soil test so you know what your various nutrients levels are at? With the additives you've been using, you might need to add nothing!

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I like Gardens Alive's sprays but I've never used any of the fertilizers. They seem too expensive to me.

8. Jack in VA

So, I guess my best bet is to learn what each plant needs, and treat accordingly.Would ground up eggshells provide enough calcium in a timely manner? Forgot to mention I'll also be using fish emulsion.
    Also, does anyone own one of those soil anylizers I see in the catalogs? Do they tell you more than ph?

9. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

If you need calcium, try gypsum (CaSO4). Unless you eat LOTS of eggs :)

10. Jack in VA

How about if I smash up a bunch of old sheet rock?