Gardening Resolutions for 2005

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

This year I am gonna make all raised beds a la Square Foot Gardening concept. Kids all grown and we don't need an acre of garden. Will still can our 100 qts. of 'mater products and the fruit from our trees but want to eat more of it fresh. Dear husband is skeptical but I get so tired of asking him to get the big tiller out and do me a new patch...hate the weeding and we all know the best laid plans of January fade in the scorching heat of August!!! Second resolution is to refrain from starting things too early in the greenhouse...always do and it becomes a jungle in there. Already went thru my seeds, did some seed spouting tests on some older seeds and actually only ordered things I need!! Well,mostly but flowers feed the soul and I want to take big bouquets into the nursing home where I work....sad when the people ask Who died? whenever there are bouquets there!! Be glad to hear from anyone doing the sq,ft. thing. DEE who planted 250 lily bulbs,300 daffodils, and hyacinths this fall so her spring and summer will be glorious :)

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We have been slowly downsizing as well. It has taken some getting use to to not can all my beans in a couple of days but do small batches every few days for a longer time etc.........but I am getting there. My resolutions would be about the same as yours, with the added one of starting less in the flats. It always seems so easy to pop those little seeds into the flats, but then come spring what ever do you do with the hundreds of sweet little plants?? :rolleyes:

3. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

I will weed the garden at least once a week.
    I will mow the lawn before it has reached a height suitable for making hay.
    I will water the garden when needed, not when desperate and wilting.
    I will eat the rabbit that has been eating the veggies.
    I will prepare places to put them before bringing home truckloads of new plants.
    I will prune the rootstock suckers as they appear instead of letting them get big enough to try to root cuttings of.
    I will find a way to protect the ornamental beds from the worst ravages of the chickens.
    I will not acquire another 500 tree seeds I feel compelled to plant.

4. KendraB225

KendraB225 Member

I will plant more fruits.
    I will grow cucumbers and make pickles.
    I will keep the weeds under control.

5. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I will save more of what I grow.
    I will save more of what I grow.
    I will save.... :eek:

I will plant more variety, but fewer plants.
    I will keep the garden weeded.
    I will let the kids have their own garden, and NOT interfere, even when it's dying, lol.
    I will plant fruit trees and bushes.

Carla

Now who is going to "police" the list and see if we stick to it?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha: If I make no resolutions, I will have less guilt to deal with! Kim, who does not plan to look at a single garden catalog till she uses up some of her stock of seed..... :eek:

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Why not just bale it?! :) ;)

Let's see ...

I will dig up and divide the catmint that is taking over the big flower bed before it becomes "ALL catmint, ALL the time!"

I will not order any more fruit trees (besides the three I just ordered) because I HAVE NO MORE ROOM FOR THEM! ARRGH!

On a similar note, I will not be led into temptation by the arrival of the seed catalogs. ('Nuff said!)

And, like the rest of you, I pledge to weed my garden religiously (yeah, riiiiight!) :haha:

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I will till an area big enough for a serious corn planting.
    I will make a serious potato planting.
    I will make a serious garlic planting.
    I will use deep mulch in more areas of the garden.
    I will go through my seed supply before I order more stuff that doesn't get used.
    I will grow more critter food.
    I will start seeds at an appropriate time, not too early OR too late.