Gardening Question?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Feb 4, 2005.

1. In the last few years I have increased my corn and tater yeild cause they are what it seems we eat the most and can store well. My garden has become about 1/3 tater, 1/3 corn, and 1/3 to share with the rest of what I like to grow. Now here is my problem, because of the increase in corn and tater production I am about 1 or 2 rows short of being able to raise everything I like to grow. So last night I was thinking about those Hydroponic grow bags that is filled with perlit, etc., and they place a plant in the middle with a drip arrigation tube in place. So I got to wondering why couldn't I do something similar with bags of soil that you can buy at your nearest garden center. The bags usually cost somewhere around $1.00 each. Why couldn't a person buy up several bags, cut a small hole out in the middle to place your plant in and then use nails or something to perforate all across the top to collect moisture. If I remember right the bags have a certain amount of fertilizer in them already. Maybe I could line several bags in a row and place plants such as tomatoes, squash, pepper, etc., in them and be sure and water them occasionally as needed. What is your input on this ideal? Has anybody tried this before?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yes, you can use those bags as is. It's proving to be quite successful with tomatoes. Not the huge monster slicing type varieties but the smaller guys such as cherry tomatoes or short determinate types. The plants would not be able to produce a huge root system to anchor a tall upright plant but tomatoes can flop over with no trouble.

They've also been reported as being successful with cucumbers and summer squash but they'd be a bit small for the larger winter squash.

Martin

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Not to change the subject. But it sounds like you just need a little more room or increased production slightly. I'd try growing the taters in a barrel or tires to increase yeild so they wouldn't take up as much room.

4. I've tried those taters grown in straw before and it just gets to much drought conditions for around here. I'm not one to like to water everyday and that is what I would just about have to do here where I live. Also, I don't mind growing them in dirt and don't mind digging them up when the time comes. There's times when I like to go on a 2 or 3 day campout and those straw beds just dry out to quickly where as the ground will still have moisture in it.

Oh, incidently I happen to grow about twelve 30' rows of taters every summer. About the same number of rows of corn too.

5. Forgot to add:

Thanks Martin and white wolf for your responses. Very much appreciated.