Gardening Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by 3sunz, May 1, 2006.

1. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

Please don't think I am stupid, but as I stated in an earlier thread, my boys and I are "trying" to have our first garden this year.... To use chicken manure from the hen house, does it have to age or can it be used directly from the hen house to the garden. Also, my children primarily use stray and/or hay for the chickens bedding, would you put that directly into the garden? I am just trying to figure all of this out as I go. I apologize in advance if this is a really ignorant question...

Thanks.

2. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

The chicken manure will burn the plants. It needs to age 2-3 months.

3. Abe R Crombie

Abe R Crombie Well-Known Member

Small amounts of manure shouldn'r hurt if you dig it in good before planting.Straw litter is great but hay will give you plenty of weeds in your garden.Hope this helps,
    Abe

4. farmerlogan

farmerlogan Well-Known Member

mix the manure in with old leaves & your grass clippings, turn it every week (or more often) & it will be compost quicker. Don't use it straight from the barn though.

5. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how/when to use it.... If I turn it weekly, when will it be ready to use?

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a deep litter composting method in our chicken house. We put six or eight inches of leaves, straw, paper in the coop. When this mixes with the chicken manure it composts down to the most wonderful compost. We can put this directly on plants. When we take it out, we dig a hole under the roost--moving aside the topmost layer then taking what is underneath.

Try it--It keeps your chicken coop smelling like earth, not ammonia at all times, makes the compost usable at all times.

7. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

If turned weekly,about 1 month.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The fresher/hotter the manure the more judiciously it must be applied as in the hotter the stuff the less you use.

I don't age manure at all if I can help it. I like to put it down fresh and till it in or lay it down then cover with mulch.

But you do have to have a feel for how much to use and with what plants. I don't use fresh manure around anything that I'll eat in ninety days or less, especially if it will be eaten raw.

.....Alan.

9. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

3sunz,

If you use very much litter, you will have all greenery and no fruit. (too much nitrogen) It's been my experience to go easy on the litter and don't use the hay ( you will be making work for yourself later-digging out the grass it sows). BTW, don't ever think your questions are ignorant. They're not. How else would you get the info and learn about what you are doing? We're more than happy to help! KC

10. farmerlogan

farmerlogan Well-Known Member

Farmgirl,
    what do you mean by "litter"? How do shavings fit in? Also, do you know what could be done to/added to, to change the composition of the compost to less nitrogen? Just curious.
    Thanks for your tips!

11. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

By litter I mean manure (chicken litter is used a lot in our area). When you have a heavy mulch such as shavings you will want some kind of nitrogen-this is where the manure comes in-to help it decompose. Otherwise it will take any available from your plants.

Kathy

12. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

I think I'm doing something wrong with my compost piles.

I've got one that is a couple months old and it stills smells very strongly of chicken pi$$. They all smell that bad actually. The new pile the old pile and the really old pile that should be done by now. The oledst pile i stopped adding stuff to it a couple months ago.

I have chicken manure mixed with straw and pine shavings. some grass clippings, and chopped leaves. It looks like it's the straw giving me trouble, I can still see it. I haven't been adding grass clippings lately because I'me using them for mulch in the garden.

What shoud i add? I turn the piles almost twice a week.

13. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

Sounds like you have too much green stuff; grass clippngs, manure. Add some carbon like leaves, hay, straw (not mixed with manure) shredded newspaper anything organic that is dry. To make good compost you need more dry stuff (carbon) than green stuff (nitrogen). Add some soil if you haven't already ( it will add the microbes needed to turn your pile to compost). Also. if pile is too wet it will smell and wont compost but, will just rot.