Gardening on exposed coastal site

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by seaweed, Jul 23, 2004.

1. seaweed

seaweed Well-Known Member

We live right on the coast in a very exposed spot. It is very beautiful but I am struggling a bit with the produce gardening. All I seem to be able to grow is miner's lettuce & cabbage. We lost all our pears to a 100 mph gale just before they got ripe last year. The other fruit trees are still babies. On the plus side, we have no slugs or snails & the soil is good.

I have planted a shelter belt of native trees, I have acquired a glass house - still waiting for dh's friend to do the glass for it. I probably just have to wait for all my shelter trees & shrubs to grow up.

Does anyone garden coastally ? Any tips & pointers ?

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Yes, I am very familiar with gardening on the coast. Happy to share our experience/knowledge. However, which coast are you on? What state? All coasts are not created equal!

BW

3. seaweed

The lower south eatern coast of New Zealand :) Not sure if that helps!

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Have you considered espaliered trees? Perhaps against a house or barn on the leeward side?

5. seaweed

I had thought of it a while ago. Problem is we are going to knock down the house we're in & build a new one. dh would never go for trees on walls on the new house. But I can always work it in with a wall of some kind somewhere. Good thought!