Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my garlic in this week (thank you Martin!), on the coldest day of the week :)

I had an empty raised bed frame that I built in the fall, so I used some spare lumber to section it off, then filled the section with bags of bought dirt.

Kind of a pricey way to do it, but having my hands in that soft brown earth when all around is hard as a rock and planting in it with the wind and snow howling was so satisfying!! :)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I was wondering what you had done to prepare for them. I had to clear off snow and use a hatchet to chop holes in the ground to plant garlic one time. That was only for about 15 cloves for an experimental 31 December planting. Garlic did just fine.

Martin

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I was wondering if it was too late....can you plant the garlic from the grocery store?
Yes. In fact, I've seen garlic in 4 different supermarkets just this week and each had some bulbs which were already sprouting. They would be perfect for planting. Variety is usually limited to California Early or something similar. Select bulbs which have a trace of the root stubs as I have seen them trimmed up into the cloves.

Martin

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have planted garlic from the stores a few times with good results. Most times you just don't know what type you are planting.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
And, I have found that with garlic it may take a couple of years for it to acclimate to your place. So if it grows but isn't great the first year you grow it, replant some and give it another chance.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tiempo, where in Michigan? I'm in southern, lower. Have garlic to plant but think I'll be planting in buckets, we have about 10" of snow right now. Have about 150 or more to plant. Lisa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts