Gardening in Apartment

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by LAPinell, Jan 15, 2007.

1. LAPinell

LAPinell Member

Hey ya'all,

Since moving into the city, I haven't had much of a chance to be on this wonderful site. But I thought this would be a great place to ask this question(s):

How, when, and what could you garden in an apartment??

I live in a nice 800 sq foot apartment with a balcony. Plenty of room. The only couple of possible problems would be my cats... they like to dig in dirt.

So if anyone has any good ideas, throw 'em this way.

Laura

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Chicken wire over the pots and the cats can't dig. I've grown lots of things in containers over the years very successfully when I remembered to water. I don't recommend sweet potatoes; tried that this year and got this very long skinny things.

3. LAPinell

LAPinell Member

I was thinking more like herbs, tomatoes, peppers, etc... I don't think tubers would work well. Unless someone has a good way to do that.

LP

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Ditto herbs. Think salad - spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, green onions. I've seen half-barrels planted with zucchini out in California.

One note, in containers you do not need or even want all day sun - dries out everything too quickly. You are best with 5-6 hrs of sunlight per day, which means avoid a south-facing location in most places.
    BW