gardening goals!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fordson major, Apr 4, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

what are your plans for this years gardens? just found out i have to make my father some beds , possibly raised (he is 75 !) . have three LARGE loads of well rotted equine gold for the gardens by my house and lots of sheep gold for a market garden for the farmers market :croc: want to get morning glories on the road fence and more day lilys by the road too. biggest task this spring is going to be the total obliteration of datura! :eek: did not know what evil we had growing in the garden!! :grit: :grit: shugged off our efforts last year though got most of the dog bane hemp gone !! :bouncy: :bouncy:

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

this years plan is to restock investment seeds, and get sick of tomatoes.

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

My goals: organically grow lots of vegetables that we enjoy eating. Have extra to share with family and friends. Grow a few odd or different plants for fun(yardlong beans, 18 inch cucumbers, different colored heritage tomatoes, fancy gourds, and hopefully, one or two "big" pumpkins) Try to get rid of more weeds and briers in my garden. I am trying strawberries (doesnt seem to be working) and trying to grow some flowers(so far, so good).

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Move the strawberries to a garden of their own and build a stick pole fence around it. Grow everything except corn (can't afford to pay the snipers to keep the coons away!) :( .
    I want to try lots of different beans for drying this year, that may involve more fences and teepees than I imagined :eek: . And I'm going to grow lots of food in my flower beds too, pretty stuff like carrots and cabbages.
    Going to try growing potatos and cukes in the manure piles (they are mostly straw and hay, an experiment).
    I also want to try and make manure tea with goat berries.

5. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

I always depended on my dad, the melon king, for melons. He's not putting in many this year, so I'm going to try and grow some.

Got a roll of black plastic all ready to go!

6. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

My goal is to not loose any plants to squash bugs this year!

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Plan? Not to let the lambs eat it before me! (Or the chickens either, for that matter!)

8. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to be making a garden in my DD's backyard this year. Mostly beans, tomatoes, cucumbers for pickling, okra and squash, maybe some watermelon if I can figure out a place with enough room.

I want to plant some things along a fence that has thick grass going right up to it. The idea of digging out all of that grass kind of underwhelms me. If I lay newspaper on top of the grass and cover it with dirt for a couple of weeks do you think I can plant right into it or is that not enough time? Our last frost of the year is generally about the third week of April so I'll start planting right after that.

9. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

My goal is to put in enough food plants for the family (3 of us and my mom and dad) for the year. I am stocking up on jars and lids, freeze boxes and bags and anything else I know I will need. I have enough seeds stock pilled for any mistakes in seed starting and probly next year too.

10. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Is this grass dormant right now or already growing? I would definitely try to remove as much as possible(or at the very least cut it as short as possible). Then do as you plan. Lay the newspaper down pretty thick and cover it with something to keep it there. The newspaper will do a good job of suppressing what is there. When you are ready to plant, make holes in the paper just big enough for your plants. Alternately, add lots of soil over the top of the newspaper and plant in the soil. You may need to cut/tear/spade through the paper to allow the roots of your new plants to find the original soil. Go for it.

11. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I think I just came up with a plan :) I'm going to have DD plant it!

Actually, I'm going to make it her math/science assignment and have her create a garden maze out of it. I may not get many veggies, but it ought to be fun creating it!

12. SelfSufficientO

SelfSufficientO becky3086

My plan is to try to get LOTS of tomatoes since I got so few last year. Going to do quite a bit of container vegetables as well. I also got a raised bed made in the backyard to add to our 2 small gardens so now we have more space(though I have things to fill it already, lol).

13. Calico Katie

This grass is dead and dry but when our spring rains get started it comes back to life pretty quickly. I'm going to be getting it ready this weekend. Since DD has a pretty good sized patio, I'm going to do some container gardening, too. Mostly it will be tomatoes in pots but I'm also thinking about getting one of those small children's wading pools, about 5' in diameter, to fill with dirt and use for squash. If I get real creative and energetic, I might do some three sisters on the back side of her fence in the alley.

14. fordson major

our plan too! seems no matter how tight the fence they find a way! the market garden will be within reach of the sheep berry waterpot, coons will have to be delt with (again! two sauntered through the orchard this am at day break! :flame: :flame: ) as we are putting in some corn! also using some greenhouse plastic as weed barrier, have used cardboard and paper in the past but have lots of plastic!
    other thing is the upside down tomatoes grown on a swingset frame!

15. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

Just ordered a 5.5 h.p. engine and 2 new wheels for my wore out tiller. Well, the gear box was still good. The tines are wore some, but I'll get some hard facing welding rods and build them back up better than new. While on this subject, if anyone is out there that is tilling a new garden from scratch and the dirt seems really hard to till, have someone weld pieces of 1/4"x1/2" bar stock on the out side edge of the tines. It cuts red clay up like candy. I came up with the idea last year and said something to a man I know and he went home and did it. I had finished tilling mine before I found out, but I used his a couple of minutes in his garden and it worked great.
    Got one hundred plants started in peat trays now and getting ready to go back and get another hundred. I am disabled, but I can work the garden an hour or two a day, if I pace myself. Hope to sell some vegies at the market this year. A deer destroyed me last year when everything was about to come in. I'm building Rockey, a dob/lab mix a house so he can stand gaurd this year. I'll give him enough chain to just get to the garden and put him out every single night until everything is in the jars,freezer, or sold. He eats good. Time for him to earn his keeps, lol.

16. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

other thing is the upside down tomatoes grown on a swingset frame!

Ooooooooh! That sounds wonderful. I've seen old playsets used for making greenhouses in the winter. do you do that?

My list (so far):
    --Lay branches of all my bushes down with a brick to propagate.
    --put in a cattle panel for cukes and small melons
    --Start more herbs
    --Do more dehydrating of herbs and veggies
    --make chicken tractor to run under orchard trees

17. Calico Katie

Can I get some details on how to make a greenhouse from an old playset and how to grow tomatoes upside down on a swing set frame?

I know you can pull a tomato plant up by the roots in the fall, hang it upside down and the green tomatoes will continue to grow and ripen, but this sounds like you're talking about actually growing the plant upside down.

For the greenhouse, I envisioned covering the frame with plastic. ??

18. fordson major

Katie, before the great crash i had posted bout planting tomtoes in the bottem of a 5 gal pail . seems you drill a 2inch hole in the botten insert plant and fill pail with dirt. someone posted a web site with pix and more details , hope they read and repost as the info was lost in the crash!
    Mid Tn Mama, have not used the playset till this year! had to pry it away from the yard apes! they can bow the frame as they are growing up way too quick!
    dennisjp, sounds like you got it under control! hope we add more ideas to your list!
    kesoaps kids don't know it yet but they are on weed patrol!( i'm on coon/coyote patrol! :flame: :flame: :flame: )

19. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

Lets see? I guess I just want to get back in the swing of things.It's been about 4 years since our last garden; just this year we found a place to have one. I also want to grow enough tomatoes and gr beans to be able to put some away.Maybe have my mom teach me how to can some of it. I was just wondering how large of a garden would I have to have to put enough food away for 9 people,not that it's going to happen anytime soon.

20. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

my goal is to put away enough food to feed my husband and i for the year. with prices going up the way they are, it will be the only way for a older retired couple to live.