Gardening for dummies

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Judith, May 2, 2006.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

If anyone would like to know for today's class I am the dummy :) Which veggies are the easiest to grow? each year we put in a garden and each year I kill each and every plan with the regularity of clockwork. This year I am going to start small and LISTEN to the advise posted hear. keeping it small and simple and see what happens :) Help!!! :nerd:

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Where are you located? It makes a difference. I would start with squash, green beans and cucumbers from seeds. And of course a few tomato plants. What is your current method? Maybe we can fix a simple flaw and help you a lot.

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

Hi, I am located in Vancouver BC. so either a zone 7 or 8 depending on what map you look at :) Currently I have GREAT soil with good drainage.( rabbit and horse poop) I have been planting from seed. The plants shoot up to about 1-2 inches and then they fade out . I get soo excited as I see the little fellows pop out and then they just fade away. I got the plants to six inches one year and then the same thing happened. Could it be just too wet where I am? I can cover the garden if need be. Thank you for the reply :)

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

do you pull the soil up into a row? this can help a lot with too much moisture.

6. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Bush beans, pole beans, carrots, and tomatoes. Easiest things in the world to grow on my side of the country. Probably do well on yours to as long as they aren't swimming ;)

7. akcowgirl

akcowgirl Member

how new is the horse manure? if it is to new and not aged it could be the problem.

8. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Can you explain what you mean by "fade out"? Do they get tall and stringy, turn yellow, brown...............any hints you could give us would help determine if it is a plant selection problem or a soil problem. If this happens year after year I would think it wasn't a seed selection problem as much as soil, water, air circulation type thing. When you do select your seeds though, do you make sure it is for the right zone and plant according to instructions for soil temperature, light, etc., thinning as plants come in? Do you direct seed to the garden the one's the packet tells you to, but plant indoors the one's that need started indoors earlier in the season? If you can let us know what varieties you have tried it may be helpful also. Thanks! :)

9. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

radishes and beens are the easiest to grow from seeds, i think.

it's the first thing i was succesful at.

you should try started plants, they cost more but are easier.

the manure is composted completely, right?

10. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

HI, Sorry I was so slow to reply, computer crash. The manure is about 2 years old and has about 3 inches of black topsoil on it. The plants start to come up nicely and then they almost disappear over night. It is so weird! Ill try the radishes and beans and see what happens. Started plants here are as much as three bucks so not an option at this time. :)

11. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

12. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

I agree chickflick .

the sguare foot garden method has saved me endless work and back aches.

The only way to garden for me.