Gardenia Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by oz in SC, May 28, 2006.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

For all of you gardeners in Zone 8.......I've got an issue. I have 2 variegated gardenias (Gardenia Augusta Variegata, to be exact) that seems perfectly healthy, but have never bloomed. I've had them for about 3 years now. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

the plant should be kept at 45 to 50 degrees F. in indirect sun with fairly dry soil to discourage growth. In spring, prune the plant lightly, move it to a warmer and brighter location, and resume watering. During the summer, feed it regularly with fertilizer for acid-loving plants or with fish emulsion. Ensure that your gardenia is exposed to moist air by placing the pot on a tray containing pebbles and water. To develop flower buds, gardenias require at least a half-day of sun and nights cooler than 70 degrees.

3. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

Well, can't move the plant around, as it is in the ground. It does get at least 1/2 a day of direct sunlight. I have another gardenia, not variegated, that blooms fine. Also planted in the ground. :shrug: