Gardeners, is there anything more wonderful than...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Mar 31, 2006.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

digging into your pile of fully-rotted compost? I just spent 2 or 3 hours covering my raised beds with the stuff and I was giddy the whole time!

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Nope! I just cleaned out the chicken hay and turned the compost piles reveled in the fact that it will be wnderful finished compost one day :)

3. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention this today of all days.

A neighbor stopped by. He's been watching me labor in my field each day as he passes by, building my raised beds and then planting them, putting in my fruit trees, etc.

Now, I do have an awfully nice, 33 horse tractor with front end loader, sitting out there in that field everyday while he passes.

I never met the guy before (he lives a mile further down the road), but he stops and introduces himself, and then asks me if I use manure when I build those beds?

Well, I'm an organic grower, so you know the answer to that one.

So he says to me "I know where you can get several truck loads of old, rotted manure - down the road, at my farm. It's all piled up and it's aged, but I don't have a front end loader on my tractor, so we'd have to use your tractor to scoop it up and put it into the truck. Are you interested?

Now, you think your pile of completely composted material was exciting to work with?

I jumped on the tractor right then and there and drove it down to this guy's place, and he had a huge pile of the stuff about four feet tall and about 15 feet by maybe six or so feet wide - all of it completely composted and begging for a home in somebody's garden! And this guy tells me I can have it all, just need to call first before I drive the tractor down there so he can let me into the locked gate.

I'm in manure heaven over here!

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

WOW!! That is like being handed a gold mine! I'm jealous!

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Cool, MsPacMan! Free stuff is great...especially when it's GOOD free stuff!

6. ladybug

ladybug Missing Home

You are so lucky! We can't even find the bagged stuff here, they are always sold out!

7. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

Our compost pile got messed upover the winter. instead of one "in progress" and one "almost or completley done" we have three *THREE* that are not even close. sigh.

We turned them with a tiller yesterday...

but todayI'm thinking maybe I should put them all into one big pile. because pile number one is the smallest has no green matter. two is the biggest, and has a huge amount of chicken poo and straw bedding from the coop. three has got alot of sticks and grass clippings and chopped leaves.

I had to explain to DH that anytime you can tell what is predominately in a pile, even after its set 4 mos, that's bad. But i'm just glad i have a strong husband willing to learn new things, new ways, new lifestyle different from the way he was raised.

So should i get nice strong husband to mix the piles into one big one and then stop adding to it and start another?

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the compost even if it isn't fully composted and still get the benefits. In fact I compost in place. For instance if there is a section not planted yet (like where the peppers and squash will to when it gets warmer) I'll compost there until I plant, then just move it over and plant in holes in it. The compost acts as mulch, and crowds out weeds.

9. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

There are a lot of city dumps that are piling up yard waste they collect and making compost of it. Our dump does and all you need to do is bring your truch, with a good cover, and they will even load it for you free of charge. You should check the cities around you, even if you had to drive 40 or fifty miles. A long bed load goes a long ways.