Garden winter preparation

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by doc623, Oct 15, 2004.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Would like to know what other people recommend or do with their
    garden plot for the winter.
    Do you ?
    1. Clear off the remaining vegation and discard or do you burn in place and add
    the resulting ash to the soil for next year.
    2. Do you plow and leave or do you plow and work up the soil and leave?
    3. Do you work up the plot and plant a cover crop ,i.e., winte rye?
    4. Or do you wait until spring to work up the soil?

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We're just about done with the kitchen garden for the year. The only thing remaining are some carrots. I'll take the Troy Bilt and till everything (corn stalks and cobs, pea vines, peelings, egg shells and cartons, etc. into the ground. Next spring I'll plant a cover crop and plant the vegetables in garden #2

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Usually I'm too tired from picking and canning and picking and drying and picking and wrapping and picking and freezing and picking and sharing and don't get to it till after it snows or freezes too hard to do anything, so....I usually leave it till spring.

4. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

I have been pulling my annuals that are done & adding to the compost pile. Am getting ready to mulch where needed & also to plant some bulbs for spring...hope I'm not too late for that! Am also thinking of planting a cover crop in one area which I will mulch into the soil come spring, but haven't decided yet.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm wintering over a number of things, and am also using a kind of lasagna gardening in raised beds. So no tilling or cover crops.

Instead, I've begun pulling out the annuals (except some nasturtiums which keep reseeding and sprouting back up again). Once done with that, I'll be moving around some of the perennials, so I can add more straw and manure, and so I can get more room between some of the plants (sage, thyme and echinacea, in particular), and then do some adjusting of the beds themselves (removing some cinder blocks, etc.)

Then, I'll cover with straw for the winter. The debris from tomatoes, basil, etc. goes right back in the beds with the straw. :)

Between this, adding to the grape arbor, buying seeds for next year, planting trees and bushes, and building a raised bed/cold frame in the greenhouse. I'm having a fun last gardening weekend of the year. :D

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We are over wintering some root crops. The rest we will pull and feed to the goats. Last year we left for spring.

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

When winter finally sets in, my goal has always been the same. That is, have the garden ready to plant in the spring. This starts already in mid-summer when garlic comes out of the ground. That soil is then quickly prepared for fall planting of more garlic. Lots of compost spread and worked in. Onions are next and their soil also gets the same compost treatment but that ground often used for radishes and lettuce as a second crop. Potatoes are next. Much of the soil is turned in the harvesting but then compost is spread and worked in. That soil will be nice and loose in case there is only a 2 or 3 day window in the spring. Everywhere else is worked up as soon as something is done producing. Nothing is left but bare earth. All material is cleared off, chopped up with a mower, and composted. All soil is turned with a shovel since the Mantis quit several years ago. Other than the 12x25 potato area, nothing is a major undertaking. Taking each harvest in turn, it may be only a 4x8 or 2x16 area to be turned. But everything is cleared off and the soil readied for the next spring.

Martin

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Since I garden organically, I must clear the garden of weeds in the fall, so I ususally dig it all up to get them out. The garden is ready for spring without too much tilling. The only thing left to do is work in compost in the spring. Thats a real bonus because spring is always so hectic for me.

9. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I pull out the stalks (corn, okra) and plants and lay them down on the ground. The chicken house gets cleaned out and everything gets dumped in the garden. Fall leaves and straw from the sheep pen get throw out there too. Then I spread a bale of straw over the top to limit weeds. Come spring I just plant through it all, or rake it aside for paths. I don't have a huge garden, so this works for me.