Garden Weasle

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Feb 27, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Has anyone got one of these for weeding? If so how do you like it? Not like it?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have one that we use for seedbed prep. small weedsare okay ,big weeds are not handled well.can't get in close to plants either.

3. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I've had the same experience. It will uproot teeny weeds, but anything 2-3 inches will live.

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

5. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

psssht! my second favorite garden tool. (favorite is the short fork) they are right, its not gonna take up bigger weeds, but, it will loosen the dirt around bigger ones, so you can jerk them up easily. Plus, after you are planted, it is wonderful for maintenance weeding. Like everyother day, I take 2 minutes to whip it through the enormous strawberry bed to keep the weeds down. Its great around beets and carrots too. Its like you know all those tiny weeds that start to come up that would take you forever to pick by hand? the ones that aggrevate the crap out of you, because you worked so hard tilling them out? Well, the weasel takes care of them.

And, their lifetime gaurantee is true. I broke my wheel handles in half, by using it to bash hard ground -- twice now. Called them up, and in 2 weeks I had new ones in the mail, no questions aked.

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I've used one for over a decade. Love it. I combine it with my winged-weeder and stirup hoe. For up close to the plants, I put one wheel on a short handle so I have better control.

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips on how to use it! The small weeds are the ones I'm concerned with. You take the words right out of my mouth about picking the small ones by hand! And I'm sure the bigger ones will be easier to deal with now as well. I'm sold :p