Garden veggies for rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CountryDreams, Jul 18, 2006.

1. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I am sure this has been discussed here before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.
    Is it safe to feed rabbits things like zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes?

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

here is a website of all of the types and parts of plants and fruit that are poisonous. i did not see any for the veggies that you asked about so i guess it is fine. i have given my rabbits tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini before. good luck with your rabbits. ashley
    http://www.allearssac.org/poison.html

3. CountryDreams

Thanks Ashley. I thought I'd give the veggies as treats but sure didn't want to hurt the rabbits any.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Great list, Topside1... thanks for posting the link. I am bookmarking it for future reference.

I did notice some items on the list that surprised me, including some garden vegetables, herbs and common weeds. Here are the ones that caught my attention on a quick run-through:

-leaves and vines of tomato
    -grasses and grains of the sorgham family
    -brassicas (this may include cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc.)
    -parsnips
    -potatoes (any green parts or eyes)
    -tansy
    -some varieties of rosemary and sage
    -wild carrots (Queen Anne's lace)

Now, if only someone would come up with a list of safe plants for rabbits - with Latin names - it would make it easier to avoid mistakes. For me, anyway, it is easier to remember of "safe" list such as the leaves and stems of:

-dandelion
    -plantain
    -red or white clover
    -raspberry and blackberry
    -shepherd's purse
    -lemon balm
    -spearmint and peppermint
    -alfalfa
    -timothy grass

Anyone care to add a few? These are all (except shepherd's purse which seems uncommon here) greens that I feed on a regular basis as a substantial supplement to their pellets.

5. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Dandelion is a great treat - High in Vitiam A and helps prevent bladder problems.

Plantain is great to feed kits that are being weaned to help regulate the function of their intestines.

Blackberry leaves have a great coolin effect.

Mint will help dry up the doe when you are weaning the kits to help prevent caked breast.

Other good treats are
    Apples -no seeds they are poision to the rabbit.
    Basil
    Beet-greens
    Peaches
    Plums
    Melons

6. MaggieJ

Thanks, BellsBunnies... It is good to know the health benefits of the various plants. My rabbits enjoy nibbling twigs and branches of apple trees, maple and willow. No wilted leaves though.

Anyone else with ideas to add?

7. CountryDreams

I did not know that apple seeds were poisonous to rabbits. I've fed my angoras apples with the seeds more times than I can count and have never had a problem. I wonder what it's supposed to do to them.

8. MaggieJ

I believe many seeds are toxic to both humans and animals - in large enough quantities. I believe the apple seeds contain cyanide. Also peach pits etc. That being said, as a kid, I occasionally ate one with no ill effects, before I knew it was not safe.

Safer just to give them a miss.

(If I have my facts twisted here, I hope someone will correct me. I don't want to spread false info.)

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Queen Anne's Lace? Yikes! I thought it'd be great since it's a member of the carrot family and rabbits are supposed to love carrots.

I think I'll print that list and hang it somewhere until we're more used to having rabbits and know what we're doing a little better. We like giving ours treats because it keeps them more docile around us but we sure don't want to make them sick or poision them!

10. MaggieJ

I was shocked to find it on the toxic list - parsnips too! I guess just because one member of a family is okay, it doesn't mean other similar ones are.

11. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

spinach is mildly poisonous. beets and carrots are ok, also bread is good. And Ive fed brassicas without problems for years. I was wondering if cooked potatoes were ok? also radishes are ok. Carla Emerys Encyclopedia of country living has a large list of goods and bads for rabbits.
    Does anyone feed their rabbits through the winter on something other than commercial pellets? I am trying to move more towards surviving without commercial animal food.