Garden row orientation?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Gypsy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

Is there any relative advantage to planting my garden rows North to South or East to West? Sorry if this is a obvious question. Were in the process of planning our first vegetable garden and it just occurred to me that I would have to choose one or the other. Thanks in advance.

2. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I believe that the rows should go N to S, tallest veggies on the west, shortest on the east, for the evenest exposure to the sun.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I always plant mine running North and South also. It seems that we get lots of wind from the North, and since I plant that way, the wind blows through the rows of corn instead of knocking them down.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

East/west row orientation is preferred by farmers for row crops for the following reasons; an east/west row will allow more sunlight to strike each plant, thus providing more photosynthesis, hence a slightly greater yield. East/west orientation will also shade the area immediately around the plants roots, hence less weed infestation within the row and between rows.

The two aforementioned variations would certainly be reasons for opting for north/south instead.

Many farmers simply use whichever row orientation will provide the least soil compaction from tractor trips during planting, cultivating, etc., hence the longest rows make for fewer turnaround soil compaction.