Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VICTORY!! The garden is mine!! Those awful Nazi's, er I mean the goats, are contained and have been routed out for good. The weeds have been killed, or at least seriously trampled! I have ousted the spiders and old, dead plants, and have put landscape fabric down to walk on (sort of!). Still need some mulch, but the victory is assured!

Here's some before and afters, mostly just to remind myself of how far I've come!

Spring - when it still looked easy to clean up:

Spring - after first clean up, pre plants, pre goats:

Summer - why did I let it go so long???

TO BE CONTINUED....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The saga continues...

Getting there!!

CONQUERED!!!

POW CAMP:

THANK YOU all so much for your encouragement!!! About 3 more beds to do, then I can start tackling the greenhouse to claim it for winter!!

Tracey Mouse

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Great photos, and the accompanying narrative is really funny. You busted your tail on that, and it sure shows. Absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You go girl! I was late getting mine started too, but I just keep telling myself it's a headstart on next year's garden, which will be even bigger and better.

Too bad, that in spite of all the wonderful information here, I still have to learn things the hard way. :D

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I'm in central Oregon - got mine in late too but it is going gung ho now! :) I had to build some fence etc. but I'll be ready for NEXT spring - EARLY!!! Actually though, my corn is almost as tall as the neighbors who put theirs in a month earlier than I did. In my opinion, it was just too cold at night anyway - the soil wasn't warmed up enough.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
CoSunflower, I think this has been an unusual growing season in Oregon..and everwhere else in the states. Extreme weather and unusual temps everywhere.

But this is getting me inspired to get my gardens all worked up this fall for next spring so I don't get caught behind again!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Lovely, good work! I created my own monster- made raised beds and got distracted. Where I don't have a solid crop (luckily 80% of surface area) I now have a well entrenched crop of grass. And tried killing grass between the beds with wood chips/no cardboard underneath and that failed so much that I mistook an overgrown pathway for a grass filled bed yesterday....

DR Trimmer oil changed and ready to mow those paths today, grass in beds not high enough to warrant string trimmer compressing my beds luckily.....

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jenn, do you have a trimmer that rolls on the ground? Not one that you hold up in the air? I've been wondering if one of those would work for me for cutting tall grass down. If that's what you are using, does it tend to get tangled up in grass?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts