Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I am closing on my first house at the end of July. The entire yard is grass at this point. What is the best way to kill all the vegetation, so I don't have to deal with the grass next spring? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
have you looked into lasagna gardening/sheet composting?

Basically the gist is, you don't need to kill anything - lay down a thick pad of wet newspaper or cardboard, make sure it overlaps well, and weigh it down with, oh, 24 inches or so of layered mulch materials. Compost, Grass clippings, spoiled hay or straw, leaf mold, etc. Let it sit over the winter and you've not only killed your grass but built up a fabulous raised bed, it'll be halfway decomposed by this point. You can even cover it with black plastic to "help" the process along.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
JV said:
Hi All!
I am closing on my first house at the end of July. The entire yard is grass at this point. What is the best way to kill all the vegetation, so I don't have to deal with the grass next spring? Thanks!
How well I know the answer! Since it's lawn now, strip the sod now and pile it in a corner. Let that become the beginnings of many years of compost. Then till it in whichever way you with, by spade or machine. Having been an established lawn for X number of years, the soil will have been compacted by foot traffic. Tilling will bring up long-dormant seeds and most of them will germinate yet this summer. Eliminate them this fall and you'll not be bothered by many weeds next year.

It will be 44 years ago tomorrow that I did exactly that. This house was purchased on 7 July 1963. Three days later, a 25x25 area of sod was removed and spading began. A few weeks later, many pigweed, ragweed, and purslane seedlings covered the area. None were allowed to produce seeds and the 1964 garden was virtually weed-free. It was downhill for them ever since.

Martin

·
Premium Member
27,075 Posts
Put up a fence around the area where you want to garden, come to my house and borrow a dozen or so ducks. Put them inside the fence. After a month there will be no living plant material inside the fence. Bring the ducks back (keep one for yourself, they are good eating after being pastured). Spread all the organic material you can get inside the fence (mowed grass, chopped leaves, manure, cardboard, newspaper, etc) In the spring lay out your beds and plant. Pretty simple when done this way. It's how I'm going to make my next new garden plot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts