Garden plot prep

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by doc623, Sep 9, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

As the growing season is coming to an end in this part of the country, I have a question.
    How do you prepare your garden/plot/area for next year's planting?
    What do you do to the ground for or how do you leave the ground for the winter months?
    Do you do nothing?
    Do you clear everything off and discard or put on compost pile.
    Some people clear off the garden/pile and burn the leftovers on the garden and add the ash to the soil.
    Do you plow/till and ready for next spring?
    Do you plow and leave open to the freezing weather of the winter?
    Do you add manure/fertilizer and till in and leave for next spring?
    What have you done and what works for you?
    Thanks in advance.

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

When I made my garden, I chose to make a raised bed style. I piled leaves, compost and good topsoil in 25 ft rows and let it sit until spring. Since then I have gotten chickens and now have a steady supply of fertilizer.

In the late fall, after I clear out the dead vines/plants, I spread another layer of leaves and a layer of chicken manure and some more topsoil on top of the existing rows and let it sit until early spring. Then I use a pitch fork and turn over the entire row - letting it sit for a couple weeks until I am ready to plant.

My garden is really healthy this year. The leaf growth has been a dark, dark green on most plants. Plus the leaves/manure have loosened the existing soil and increased the worm population immensely (until the chickens got into my plot last spring and scratched down 2 1/2 beds before I caught them). Now the garden has a nice little fence all around it!

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I spray mine down with Round Up and let it set for two weeks until everything is dead then I plow everthing under and then disc the whole garden and let it set thru the winter. I have a Farmall Cub to do this with.

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Why use the Round up?

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I clear everything and till. Then I will plant annual rye grass. Also, at some point I will rotate my fall broilers over top for a nice top dressing of manure. :)

Shane

6. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

all plant material will be removed and composted

then, this year, a cover crop of Austrian Winter Peas

7. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Would you like RoundUp or Thousand Island on your salad? :confused:

8. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I cut down the corn stalks, go over them with the mower, and then till everything in. Every two or three years I'll get a soil sample and add lime, if needed, before I till.