Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the garden spot a good place to turn out a goat, or are there some plants that could make them sick?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,847 Posts
We haven't turned out goats out in the garden, but we do give them veggie scraps from the kitchen. They like tomato skins, black eyed pea hulls, and cantaloupe seeds....so far!

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Most veggies are OK. Most ornamentals are not.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
They sure like strawberry plants didn't realize the tether would go that far.....

·
Registered
641 Posts
I believe it is tomato plants that are bad for them. Also, too much, too quick of anything they aren't used to can cause problems. That is why I always hand pick stuff of deliver it to them. That way, I know they are only getting a little of something new...like a treat!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family, and too much of the plant itself can be bad. But I have fed the goats bad or bug-eaten tomato fruits, and they love them. I just flip them into the pasture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine eat green beans, sliced squash or zuccini, peaches, green apples, sunflowers. Kids nibbled on dill, but moms turned away. Peppers are popular. Plums, too. I would not let a goat in a garden, though, because they will compact the soil with their pointy little hooves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts