Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!

How much space do you have invested for growing veggies/fruits?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe fence in the pics encloses a 100'x100' area or 1/4acre, and the tilled area is about 90'x90' leaving about 5' of perimeter path. Our black-raspberries, mullberries, strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, apple, cherry, black walnut are scattered around other areas of the property.

I forgot to mention the grapes, raspberries, blackberries and snow peas in the pictures. Sunflowers are volunteers from last year.

The majority of the saplings on the west half of the back two acres are black walnut, with green ash, mulberry, elm, sugar maple, silver maple, and a few oaks.

The Giant Puffball mushrooms will be starting in about 6weeks, those make for cool pictures and conversation piece, along with being tasty on the grill.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very impressive!

Could you please provide some growing info on your giant puffball mushrooms? Do they need to be planted in a moist, shaded area? I would love to grow some of those here as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The puffballs are naturally ocurring in the wooded portion of our property.
Their season around here is end of august-early november.
Talk to a mushroom expert regarding soil requirements, could send you one for a starter, when they are small of course, they can weigh over 15# easily.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Your broccoli looks GREAT. What variety did you grow, do you remember? I tried De Cicco and Green Goliath. De Cicco has an unbelievably great flavor but loose heads that bloom quickly. Green Goliath has really tight dense heads almost like cauliflower and makes huge side shoots almost as big as the main head but the flavor wasn't nearly as good.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
The lettuce looks delicious! Is that simple green leaf or another specialty variety? I am very encouraged by seeing all that you've done with 1/4 acre! I have fenced off 1/5 acre for next year's garden. My young pigs are currently having fun eating the grass in the future garden and tilling it up and manuring it for us! Hopefully I'll have pretty pictures to share next year ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last year I did Green Comet broccoli and it did great, this year it is ' Premium Crop ', both 2006 and 2007 I ended up buying flats of started plants from a greenhouse and may continue that way until my seed starting methods work out better.

Lettuce is Burpee, Green Ice,loose head, I am happy with the outcome. I'll do another planting yet, but it will be Botanical Interests seed, Lactuca sativa variety of heirloom leaf lettuce, supposed to be heat tolerant, we'll see.

WIHH...Giant Puffballs double in size every 24 hours, and have no likeness to any other fungi, your photo does not represent what grows here at any stage. I'll post pics if they come up again this year, basketball size or larger. I'm no fungi know-it-much either, just what I've seen around here.

Farmergirl.... Here's the garden in July of 2006, the first year I put in the fence, and garden, made plenty of mistakes, but still had lots of produce.
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/woodchuck_photos/Garden July 10 2006/

Thanks for the compliments, it is where I start every day, cup of coffee and walk around checking my green brood as it were, before the kids are up.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
wdchuck said:
Thanks for the compliments, it is where I start every day, cup of coffee and walk around checking my green brood as it were, before the kids are up.
Isn't that the most blissful time? Watching the world wake up while you're browsing through the garden, coffee cup in hand.

Thanks for the broccoli info. I'm going to do the De Cicco again and will try Green Comet and maybe Premium Crop too. Definitely Green Comet, as I considered trying it this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts