garden over a leach field??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cc-rider, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Can I or can't I?? The property I'm looking at is only 1 acre, and darned near 1/3 of it seems to be a leach field!!! If I put in a barn and some fruit trees, the only other clear space is over the leach field.

I'm guessing I can't build the barn over it? Fruit trees' roots would be bad for it too, I'm guessing.

Is it dangerous to grow food crops over it??

Thanks!
    CC

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe you can grow food, and other crops above the leach field. I would be more concerned about trees damaging the leach field pipes.

3. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

It is recommended by the Health Department to NOT eat anything produced over a leaching field. Sanitary and health reasons.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

This is our 2nd residence with a garden over a leach field, and we're still alive and kickin'. We do, however, do raised beds,not because of the leach field, but for ease of weeding, planting etc.
    What don't kill ya will only make you stronger :haha: :haha:

5. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: I suppose that's one way of looking at it. :haha: :haha:

Anyway, that's what my friend, who has a B.A., Ph.D. behind his name, who retired from the Maryland Health Department, told me.

Another thing, I used to work near a sewer plant and they had some of the most BEAUTIFUL tomatoes growing in the sludge. The plant operator, another Ph. D., told me, "Whatever you do... NEVER eat tomatoes out of there!"

So, naturally, I take these learned gents at their words. Who am *I* to be a "guinea pig," anyway? :cool: :haha:

C'est la vie!

6. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I have been growing corn, melons, tomatoes, squash, beans and the like over our drain area for years,I'm still kickin.
    But then again the pipes are about 8 feet down.

Kris