Garden is being Eaten Help!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Angharad, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Angharad

Angharad Active Member

So I was out at the garden today and found that "the eating creature" (I think a groundhog) has been munching busily and that some insect has attacked the squash.

Its not squash bugs. I thought grasshoppers but unlikely as nothing else shows insect damage.

I'm thinking I'll make a spray of tansy, mint and red pepper and spray everything in sight. Add some blood meal to the garden edges and mow around the garden too.

Any other ideas?

Angharad

2. CherieOH

CherieOH Well-Known Member Supporter

Marigolds interplanted with your veggies will deter some critters. Make sure they are the ones that stink (like the old-fashioned orange and yellow ones), not just any pretty marigold. The past couple of years, rabbits have not touched my peppers since I started planting "stinky" marigolds in between them. In a four foot square patch, I plant 9 pepper plants with 4 marigold plants in between. Looks pretty too! Not sure if marigolds will deter groundhogs or not though. As for insects, I find spraying with a diluted mint-flavored Listerine concoction works well. I'm not sure if it's the mint that discourages them or they just don't like the sting of the Listerine any more than we do. :haha: One thing I do regularly that discourages aphids and some other insects is to water my plants with my used dishwater. I use a dishpan, which makes dumping the water easier. Good luck!