Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got nice dark purple berries on my garden huckleberry plants but they are new to me--do I pick like blueberries as in when they are ripe and freeze them until I have enough for a pie or treat them more like ground cherries and let them all get ripe? They did not pull off easily as I thought they might and there are still quite a few green ones. Any advice?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I don't know what your garden huckleberries taste like. Have you tried eating one?
The ones I grew once looked beatiful dark blue and ripe, but they tasted aweful raw.
We made some huckleberry jam. I didn't care for that either. Maybe there is some secret to how to utilized these for food value after growing them. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I agree with MoonWolf, we grew them one year and they were terrible but I have read where others like them. My friend grew them also at the same time and hated them. We still laugh about our "test/trial" of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told not to pick them when they are shiny and purple, but to wait until they are a flat, matte black. Still waiting, but no real hope that they'll be like the real thing....:(

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
TaylorMade said:
I was told not to pick them when they are shiny and purple, but to wait until they are a flat, matte black. Still waiting, but no real hope that they'll be like the real thing....:(
We picked them at the darkest ripest stage (purple black) possible. That didn't seem to make any difference for the flavour.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
yep, me too, grew them one time in my garden, even went to the trouble to can them, awful things they were, just dreadful...

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
No, you dont pick them till after a good frost.right now they should be hard to pick off the plant and will not taste good at all. you dont eat them raw they have to be cooked.
after a frost is when the sugar heightens in them and they fall right off of the plant easier.Then you can freeze them, can them ,or bake with them.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should have said that it is Solanum melanocerasum as it sounds like there are a lot of similar varieties out there. I don't have enough for a pie on these few plants but was hoping to freeze and then combine with the small amount of ground cherries. thanks oberhaslikid

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still waiting for a frost to harvest the garden huckleberry. They are easier to pull off but I'm trying to sit on my hands!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
They are better when cooked (pies, jam, yum) and as mentioned picking after a frost helps as well. When we have not been able to collect enough huckleberries we have always mixed with blueberries, this turns out really good!

Dee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts