Garden hose repair solutions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Mar 9, 2005.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I use old garden hose for a drip system to my fruit trees. When I turned it on today to make sure it was working okay, I found a 4" slit that the water was shooting out of. The slit was halfway between two of the trees it waters. I need to fix the hose or replace it, and I would rather not replace it. I can't cut it and put in one of those connector type repairs because then it would be too short to reach the trees it waters. I have tried wrapping the hose with some tape that I have, on small leaks in the past, but water still spews out from under the tape. Is there a tape that works on garden hose or some other kind of fix out there for such a long slit in the hose?
    Thanks.

2. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Cut out the bad section and replace it with another piece and connectors

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

black electrical tape works the best, for a semi-temporary fix

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

old bike tube cut 6 inchs off(bout inch past end of slit and before) and slip over the end of the hose till it covers the hole electrical tape or 100 mile an hour duct tape, used it on irrigation hoses all the time

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I cut the bad part out , fit a piece of pvc inside both ends and clamp with water pump clamps. I wire the two clamps together so the water pressure won't push the hose off the pvc,

6. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

There is a lot of pressure inside one of those garden hoses. I know we fix those hose splits with a glue called GOOP. It is a silicone based, waterproof, super-strong, flexible type glue that will stick to anything. Check it out…

7. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for all the good ideas. I am not sure what I will do yet but you have all given excellent suggestions. There isn't much water pressure because I just have gravity feed from a 20 tall tank. But it is enough pressure to make it difficult to seal with tape. I am about an hour's drive from a store to get stuff to fix it with so I will look around and see what else I have that might work using your ideas.
    Thanks.