Garbanzo's/Chickpeas

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by twind59, Feb 19, 2005.

1. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how far north we can grow garbanzo's. I want to try some this year in zone 5...Northwest Indiana. Is that too far north for Garbanzo's?
    Thanks
    Barry

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They grow em in North Dakota.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

They've grown in MA zone 5 I don't grow them anymore cause each pod only produces about 3 beans.....I just don't have the space for that.

4. twind59

Thanks for the feedback. If they grow 'em in North Dakota and Mass., then I'm sure we can grow 'em here in Indiana. I'll have 2 rows of 150' for beans. Being my first year with them I thought I'd put down a half a pound and see how they turn out. That should leave plenty of room for my other beans. Again...thanks.
    Barry

5. twind59

OK...I've decided to try growing some garbanzo's this year....about 150' row. The Vermont Bean Seed catalog looked pretty good, so I called them to see about ordering some. After talking with the representative I was a little concerned about doing business with them. I did a little research on the internet and found a pretty low customer satisfaction rate as compared to other seed companies. Unfortunately, the seed companies with whom I regularly do business do not offer garbzano's.
    Does anyone know of a good source of garbanzo bean seeds? I would also like to hear opinions from anyone who has done business with Vermont Bean Seed. Maybe they are worth a try.
    Thanks
    Barry

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My experience with the vermont bean seeds company is mixed....their seeds are fine...just don't order any plants (wilted, half dead) I have ordered seeds from them and totally tomatoes(same people) for years....never had a problem with the seed, so last year I ordered some pepper and tomato plants......never again. I'll stick to their seed :)

7. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I am clueless... :)
    Can you grow them from the ones you buy at the store?

8. twind59

I don't think so. I tried to get some of the dried ones from the store to sprout last year...no luck. Well, I talked with some other folks and decided to go ahead and give Vermont Bean Seed a try. The order should go out next Moday or Tuesday. I'll monitor the situation closely.
    Barry

9. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Do they grow in pods like other beans? I used to hate them until I discovered hummus. Now I make my own!

10. twind59

Yes!!! Hummous is the very reason I am growing them this year!!! Very addicting stuff, that hummous. It is so expensive to buy, but is just pennies to make your own!
    Barry
    Indianapolis

11. twind59

A while back we talked about the Vermont Bean Seed Company. After that discussion I went ahead and placed my first order with them. Good news! The order was filled promptly and everthing looks really good. Thanks to Martin and all who shared their thought with me.
    Barry
    Indianapolis